Whats the best way to clean copper coins?

Excursion09

Greenie
Mar 18, 2009
What's the best way to clean copper coins?

I have found quite a few pennies since I started mding last weekend, and most of them have lots of junk on them. I tried cleaning them with dish soap and water, but that didn't work except to get the top loose dirt off. I tried vinegar, and that seemed to eat away at the coin, and didn't really clean them anyway. Luckily, the pennies are not very old, none of them wheats. I just wanted to know what's the best thing to clean them with without damaging the coin. When I finally find something old, I don't want to ruin it. Anyone have suggestions?

Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Re: What's the best way to clean copper coins?

Put them in a sock and wash them in the washing machine...or you can buy a tumbler and tumble them, not sure but for around $50 bucks you can buy one.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The peroxide method works well but I would only do that on old coins.

If they are current pennies just tumble them or turn them in at the bank dirt. If you buy a tumbler check on Harbor Freight's website. I purchased a double barrell tumbler for around thirty dollars. You can tumble pennies and clad at the same time.

NJ

Mar 18, 2009
Vestal NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, E-trac

[The best way to clean copper coins is to use a little sand and dish soap and rub it. Or use a rock tumbler.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

N.J.THer said:
The peroxide method works well but I would only do that on old coins.

If they are current pennies just tumble them or turn them in at the bank dirt. If you buy a tumbler check on Harbor Freight's website. I purchased a double barrell tumbler for around thirty dollars. You can tumble pennies and clad at the same time.

NJ

Harbor freight is back ordering the double tumbler. They just pushed delivery back AGAIN. Try somewhere elseif you want one quickly.

teak

Dec 7, 2008
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used a cleaner that shines them up quickly, but you dont want to leave them in this solution too long, it will brighten them up. This is the link to the cleaner, http://www.lightningstrip.com/rust.htm

wear gloves! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread