What's new

War Service Ship Building pin found

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
one of my co-workers recently purchased a house built around 1884. He gave me full run of the place. Found a 1901 indian head yesterday.

Today I found this cool little WWI War Service Ship Building pin.

Going to be a challange in this yard however, it is loaded with junk. Going to have to invest in a smaller coil.

Thanks for looking and HH
 

Attachments

  • 2011-12-13_13-50-33_452.webp
    2011-12-13_13-50-33_452.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,242
Upvote 0
Wow! Amazing detail on the pin. Interesting history, I bet, also! Congrats!
 
Great find !!
World War I era War Service Shipbuilding Contractor badge.
It should have a machine stamped number on the reverse, maybe 5 digits
This badge was for identification of shipbuilding workers of WWI.
Some include an eagle, anchor and USA (on the anchor) indicating a foreman.
Don...
 
Bob, One more piece of history!!! Nice find. God Bless HH Chris
 
Randall said:
Wow! Amazing detail on the pin. Interesting history, I bet, also! Congrats!

Thanks Randall
 
Mackaydon said:
Great find !!
World War I era War Service Shipbuilding Contractor badge.
It should have a machine stamped number on the reverse, maybe 5 digits
This badge was for identification of shipbuilding workers of WWI.
Some include an eagle, anchor and USA (on the anchor) indicating a foreman.
Don...

Thanks Don

There is a number on the back, but it needs some better cleaning when I get home.

Does the number represent a person? it would be cool to find out who it belongs to if so.

Thanks for the history it as well, doing some googling I've seen the fancier ones with the anchor and USA and was wondering about the difference.
 
that's pretty sweet :thumbsup:
 
Bob:
I'll take a shot at the obvious--the numbers are assigned to individuals-a means of ID-ing the particular worker in this wartime sensitive industry.
 
that is completely awesome, i found the same exact medal in a colonial yard....the number was tracked back to the 90 year old womans father. Nice...yours still have the pin?
 
Sniffy said:
that is completely awesome, i found the same exact medal in a colonial yard....the number was tracked back to the 90 year old womans father. Nice...yours still have the pin?

Yeah Sniffy I did a tnet search before I posted to see if anyone else had found one.

How did you go about finding who the number belonged to? Through the shipyard? It would be cool to find the relatives or owner of the pin.

Sadly, while the attachments are there, the pin is gone
 
sweet relic!!! MR TUFF
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom