Revolutionary War Era Stirrup

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Got out to a beautiful old house today for a few hours. The house is probably mid to late 1800's. Coins have been hard to come by for me recently and I believe it is because I have been detecting farmhouses outside of town. My brother has a theory that if you want to find the coins, you need to search the homes in the town. I think he is correct. I did locate a wonderful Revolutionary War era stirrup which is identical to the one shown in Neumann and Kravic's Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution, on page 157 #13. This house is not that old by any means, but the road which it's on used to be the Baily Hazen Military road that was built during the revolutionary war. I wonder if this stirrup is from that time period. If only it could talk. Also found a great brass nozzel from an early milk line, (got milk!!!), a boot toe plate a very nice horse bridle rosette, and brass plate to some old screens which says, Porter Screens, Burlington Vt. and a cap that says, "Sold only at the Rexall store". And true to form....no old coins. Thanks for looking....Lance P.S. It's snowing out and supposed to all night. Hope it melts by next weekend.

Attachments

• Metal Detecting Finds 2006 273.jpg
    Metal Detecting Finds 2006 273.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 706
  • Metal Detecting Finds 2006 276.jpg
    Metal Detecting Finds 2006 276.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 894
  • Metal Detecting Finds 2006 275.jpg
    Metal Detecting Finds 2006 275.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 679
  • Metal Detecting Finds 2006 277.jpg
    Metal Detecting Finds 2006 277.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 870
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Lance. Now that is a house.

You got some nice books on hand.

HH Jer

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Beautiful House....I love your finds ...they are just in awesome shape and so nice. Must be fantastic to be able to hunt such historic sites! WTG

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition is by far one of the best I have seen from that time period ! Great Find....... ;)

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Terrific finds!

The "hook-y" part of the wooden spindle thing? - is it wooden or leather? If it's leather, I'd say it was from an old spinning wheel. If it's wood too, then I'm clueless.

Those finds are really, really cool. Glad you posted 'em.

HH
Nan

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Relic! I like the historic home also, I bet if it could talk, it could tell a thousand tales !!!!

GREAT FIND..............................

ns

Attachments

• Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,072

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice stirrup! Dang, we still have green leaves on the trees and I detected in a short sleeve shirt yesterday. HH, Mike

M

mchamby

Very nice relics Lance. Please don't say that s word I'm not ready for it Brrrrrrr.
HH
Mchamby

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When did you say you wanted to hunt together at your sites. ;D ;D WOW a nice stirrup indeed.

Burdie

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find! Congrats!

and that book is a great one as well. I use it often...although not as often as I'd like! *haha*

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty Lance! Tsgman

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that toe plate, Lance. That was used back in the days when people were really frugal.

It's snowing pretty hard here right now. :'( OK..I'm going to be nosey.......What's going on next Wednesday?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread