Apple Cider Vinegar Continues To Amaze Me

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Below are some recent axe head finds. Recently, I've been removing the rust on iron by soaking in apple cider vinegar. See this post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/283635-ax-head-restoration-video.html

But I discovered something additional about using ACV - and it really helps if you're very busy. These two axe heads were found on a local farm. After knocking off the loose dirt and rust, I put them both in a batch of ACV and just left them. That was about a month ago. Normally, I go back every 24-48 hours, remove the iron piece and give it a vigorous brushing, repeating that process over a week or two and typically changing out the vinegar once or twice. Not this time. I just put them in the ACV and left them. I kept putting off working on them, had a daughter get married and just busy with a lot of other things. Well, yesterday I decided to work on them and, to my amazement, when I took them out of the vinegar, they required only one steel wire brushing. As you can tell from the pitting, both of these old boys were VERY rusty. A lot of folks just toss these relics in the scrap pile. Not me. The second set of photos is actually a Kelly True Temper Perfect axe head and I've seen these on EBAY selling in the $65 - $95 dollar range.

Something else I learned - I was having trouble with "flash" rusting after brushing and putting in the oven to bake and remove any remaining moisture. Someone here on TNET mentioned using cooking oil. So, after brushing and rinsing with water, I towel dried them and used a paper towel to apply some canola oil. That did the trick. NO FLASH RUST. You see the final results below. The Kelly axe head still has a little bit of surface rust, but not much. I'll work on it a bit more, but the other one - no rust at all left. Thanks for looking! (Send me the discarded axe heads you don't want :laughing7:)

Attachments

• axe_1.JPG
    axe_1.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 231
  • axe_2.JPG
    axe_2.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 231
  • axe_TT.JPG
    axe_TT.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 227
  • axe_TT2.JPG
    axe_TT2.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Upvote 7

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job and you have become the "go to" guy on iron treatment here Richard. Canola oil works good on dried leather too. HH, Q.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good restoration job on the old axe heads.....I've got one half of an old Saturday night special lying around and I think I'll give this method a try.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job and you have become the "go to" guy on iron treatment here Richard. Canola oil works good on dried leather too. HH, Q.

Thanks Quindy - I'm flattered, but I'm still learning. If I'm the expert, we're in big trouble. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good restoration job on the old axe heads.....I've got one half of an old Saturday night special lying around and I think I'll give this method a try.

Regards + HH

Bill

That's something that I'd let soak for a few weeks. Let us know how it turns out.

annak

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2011
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 505, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What year do you think these are?

My friend has found two ax heads in a park dated 1911, these look like the ones she found. What company made yours and is there a name inscribed on yours? She is in the process of cleaning hers.

Below are some recent axe head finds. Recently, I've been removing the rust on iron by soaking in apple cider vinegar. See this post: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/283635-ax-head-restoration-video.html

But I discovered something additional about using ACV - and it really helps if you're very busy. These two axe heads were found on a local farm. After knocking off the loose dirt and rust, I put them both in a batch of ACV and just left them. That was about a month ago. Normally, I go back every 24-48 hours, remove the iron piece and give it a vigorous brushing, repeating that process over a week or two and typically changing out the vinegar once or twice. Not this time. I just put them in the ACV and left them. I kept putting off working on them, had a daughter get married and just busy with a lot of other things. Well, yesterday I decided to work on them and, to my amazement, when I took them out of the vinegar, they required only one steel wire brushing. As you can tell from the pitting, both of these old boys were VERY rusty. A lot of folks just toss these relics in the scrap pile. Not me. The second set of photos is actually a Kelly True Temper Perfect axe head and I've seen these on EBAY selling in the $65 - $95 dollar range.

Something else I learned - I was having trouble with "flash" rusting after brushing and putting in the oven to bake and remove any remaining moisture. Someone here on TNET mentioned using cooking oil. So, after brushing and rinsing with water, I towel dried them and used a paper towel to apply some canola oil. That did the trick. NO FLASH RUST. You see the final results below. The Kelly axe head still has a little bit of surface rust, but not much. I'll work on it a bit more, but the other one - no rust at all left. Thanks for looking! (Send me the discarded axe heads you don't want :laughing7:)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used white vinegar with some success too. What do you think is the difference between using white vs. apple cider?? :icon_scratch:

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and restoration! I have find out an axehead that is extremely rusted! I will have to give that go! Do you have a before picture?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this mean I get to throw out my electrolysis set up I am all for it. Always good to treat iron like you would in seasoning an iron skillet. Thanks for the post.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My friend has found two ax heads in a park dated 1911, these look like the ones she found. What company made yours and is there a name inscribed on yours? She is in the process of cleaning hers.

Kelly is the name of the company.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used white vinegar with some success too. What do you think is the difference between using white vs. apple cider?? :icon_scratch:

Not sure. I've seen where others have used white vinegar, although I never have.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds and restoration! I have find out an axehead that is extremely rusted! I will have to give that go! Do you have a before picture?

Unfortunately, not on these. But they were both pretty bad.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If this mean I get to throw out my electrolysis set up I am all for it. Always good to treat iron like you would in seasoning an iron skillet. Thanks for the post.
HH
TnMtns

I believe electrolysis still has its place. This just seems to work very well for me.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
After seeing your success, I went out and got a nice big jug of apple cider vinegar. I have two nice old axe heads soaking now, hoping they come out as nice as yours! Great work!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After seeing your success, I went out and got a nice big jug of apple cider vinegar. I have two nice old axe heads soaking now, hoping they come out as nice as yours! Great work!

Thanks Oxbow - I'm stimulating the economy!

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
White vineger is 2 acids and apple vinegar is from apples etc. another words white vinegar is man made apple is mother nature made.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! ACV has been doing me well too. I have 2 axe heads from a hunt a month ago that will take their bath tonight. I'll probably leave them for 2 weeks before I check on them.

This is a recent ACV reveal of an old smoke house lock:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/317655-why-i-dont-throw-stuff-out.html

It was just a big hard unshapen form of mud and rust, but I knew something was underneath!

I've did side-by-side comparisons of ACV and regular white vinegar. The white vinegar did nothing, so it's ACV all the way for me!

Oh, and CONGRATS on your daughter's wedding!!!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
White vineger is 2 acids and apple vinegar is from apples etc. another words white vinegar is man made apple is mother nature made.

It's usually hard to improve on the original!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool! ACV has been doing me well too. I have 2 axe heads from a hunt a month ago that will take their bath tonight. I'll probably leave them for 2 weeks before I check on them.

This is a recent ACV reveal of an old smoke house lock:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/317655-why-i-dont-throw-stuff-out.html

It was just a big hard unshapen form of mud and rust, but I knew something was underneath!

I've did side-by-side comparisons of ACV and regular white vinegar. The white vinegar did nothing, so it's ACV all the way for me!

Oh, and CONGRATS on your daughter's wedding!!!

Thanks! Yes, I replied on your padlock thread. I found one identical and cleaned up, but that was before I discovered ACV. I used electrolysis and Rust Converter on mine. ACV would have worked better, I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions