no copper dimes.....probably discolored from the soil it was in

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
salt water{Ocean} can do this and melt zinc pennies too!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also it could theoretically be a dime struck on a penny planchet. Not likely if the diameter is correct for a dime, but best to check.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Um.. ALL modern dimes are made of copper. As are all post-1964 quarters and post-1969 halves. The current composition of post-1964 dimes and quarters is an Oreo of 91.67% copper between 8.33% nickel. If you've ever found a red dime or quarter in your hunts, it may be either because the copper is leaching through, or the nickel has eroded away. They are still spendable in any case.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I suppose it could be missing the top layer. Could be plated. We need a pic or we'd be speculating all day.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not showing great detail most likely the cladding is gone, I have a penny I thought was a 43 steel until I looked closer, it was a modern penny without cladding, looks completely gone.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thaks for the answers guys. I do think that the plating just wore off.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but the bad thing if the plating is worn off then it would just be a smooth disc Kitt what area do you live in

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking it may be older than you think but the size ie a dime is 17.9mm in dia I think

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look on the edge of a dime you will see the copper

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
I am not too smart but the plating on a dime? Coins are stamped with dies, which means the image we see has been pressed into a planchet, the flat piece of combined metals. I have found some red Washington quarters and could see all of the detail I needed to recognize it as a quarter but the copper was leaching through. You may want to google how coins are made, this will give you an idea of what you are looking at provided you are thinking of the elements, the circulation wear and tear, the metals used to make the coins and anything else that may have put the coin in its current condition.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in oregon, Right near de beach! bad area for a scratched paint job. rust up in no time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions