Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the field of dreams today and found out from one of the owners, the one I had permission from that it is closed to public use, due to the disrespect and destruction from lots of people. And seeing for my self what people have done, you can't blame them! It's private property, people need to respect that. Anyone caught out there will be given a trespass notice and the police will be called. All I can say is I had permission and was respectful of not going into the crops or causing damage. I have had multiple conversations with this farmer over the last 3 years, and he is under pressure from the State safe farm act, and they can't have people or dogs in the fields period! Thankfully because I asked every year prior to going detecting here the farmer has given me permission to hunt 1,500 Ac. in another town. It sucks to loose permission because of others!!!!!

VERY DISAPPOINTED
BK

Upvote 1

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And stings that much worse when it's a great site. I had the exact same thing happen, or close anyway. I was in a field I've been to many times and one of the owners pulled in and just sat there. I thought I better go talk to him to make sure he knows I talked to his brother to be here, and soon after that conversation started I could sense there was something wrong.... and as soon as I told him I wouldn't be here if I didn't ask, he said the week before he kicked 3 out who were walking straight across his planted field. I think they were actually swinging too... and to make matters worse I eventually found out it was the person I had actually got permission with! That guy got drifted in 2004 for other reasons, but this was another to add to the list. Fortunately the farmer let me stay and I have been back many times with no problems.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Built up the courage to ask the caretaker at a local cathedral built in 1830 for permission. After explaining my motives couldn't believe it when he said yes. Had the place to myself for almost a year! Treated the property as if it were mine. Carried a trash bag so I could fill it with surface trash. 200+ silver coins! relics! silver jewelry, gold, over $600 in clad. Suddenly I started seeing half ass holes everywhere, plugs put back in upside down! Wtf. Showed up one Saturday morning to find 5 guys hunting the place. When I confronted them they said they saw me detecting the place and figured it was fair game. Long story short the caretaker thought I was with them and kicked us all out. Didn't even want to hear me out. Beyond pissed is an understatement!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
It's the bane of our hobby guys, those people with no respect for the property or for the owners. They can ruin a perfectly good relationship just by being them and often there's not a thing In the world the responsible hunter can do about it.:dontknow:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's those damn digger shows bringing in the BS hype that everything is $$$ out there .. Safe Farm Act what a crock :BangHead:

OP
OP
Broken knee

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Safe Farm Act is only part of the reason, more so it's the people wrecking the roads and driving through the fields and entering the assorted buildings on the property. He said it takes 2 weeks to repair all the road damage caused by people in the spring, "mud season". Also there has been an increase in people dumping garbage/trash along the river. It's a shame, some amazing finds come from here and who knows what else is left? I will respect his decision and not return.
BK

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. Beyond pissed is an understatement!
Ouch thats a tough one, I dont have the guts to just go on any property without asking, even abandoned foreclosures. I find that most of the time if I state mt case when I ask, ppl are more than receptive. Its a shame morons ruined your good site

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's those damn digger shows bringing in the BS hype that everything is $$$ out there .. Safe Farm Act what a crock :BangHead:

Right. Never saw any disrespectful folks in my life until last year when a TV show began...Up until last year everyone loved one another and no one left any holes or trash behind...what a fine race the Human Beings were until someone saw a metal detector on TV. :BangHead::BangHead:

...Believe it or not, I saw a hole in the ground 40 years ago, KG and Ringy weren't even born yet!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's partly why my signature reads as it does. :dontknow:

But, I disagree there's nothing we can do. If we want to continue to hunt, we need to show we aren't TV actors. We are professionals at doing the right things. Which has to include, turning them in.

If we see wrong we need to step up and say something. If I had showed up and there were five guys hunting a place that I knew I had exclusive permission for, I'd contact the owner and ask if he wanted me to call the police. You have people out there who consider themselves as some sort of raiders. They move in figuring to cherry pick a spot as fast as they can and never come back. If it screws up someone else's hunting privileges, well, too bad. They got theirs! That's all that counts.

This mentality is NOT limited to just our hobby. It is the "me-first" generation and it's here to stay. You see it every single day on the roads. A driver will pass you up and then slow down to the exact same speed he was traveling when he was behind you. It's not that he's in more of a hurry than you. It's "Me-first".

Sorry to hear about your problem but I would not just let it die. I would do everything I could to rebuild that relationship with the owner. Sending you to another place is not an answer. Better than nothing, yes. But, if the finds are here, moving down the road won't help.

Another thing is these so called smart people who think they're getting away with something by hunting under the cover of darkness. Better not let me catch them. They will get a rude visit from the police.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread