What's new

1775 king George ii ????

Fattony315

Full Member
Joined
May 17, 2013
Messages
242
Reaction score
521
Golden Thread
1
Location
Up state ny
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a hunt today with a friend to a 1850 house foundation. Right behind the house was an old road and 20 feet down this road I got a nice solid 78 on my at pro. 4 inches down and out popped a very thin copper. With my nail, I was able to remove a little dirt to see it was a King George ii. But on the back of the coin, the date is 1775. Isn't that date a King George the iii? On the front it clearly is II. Any help? image.webp image.webp
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 18
Perhaps a counterfeit? Iron Patch or one of the other copper experts will have that ID'ed for you soon.
 
It's definitely a counterfeit King George III regardless if it says "II" ... but that's a significant enough mistake that unless it's something like a filled die error the guys who collect them would know it right away. They'd likely know anyway as they follow them fairly closely. Kinda looks like they used a T punch for the 2nd letter I.
 
Last edited:
Evasion series ?
 
You did a pretty good job getting the dirt off that coin with your fingernail. When you pulled it out of the ground today it looked pretty crusty. I wouldn't have guessed it would turn out to be that detailed. That might have to be my cleaning method of choice in the future.
 
That's a great looking early copper.
 
Took a close look, the second I does look like a T.
 
Took a close look, the second I does look like a T.

Scrape out the A in NIA with a toothpick to see if there's a cross bar and is an A, or they used a V punch for it.
 
very nice old copper!, congrats!
 
Scrape out the A in NIA with a toothpick to see if there's a cross bar and is an A, or they used a V punch for it.

It looks a lot like a v upside down.
 
Love those colonial coppers. counterfeit or not. Yours looks in good shape. :icon_thumright:
 
It looks a lot like a v upside down.
I agree. I magnified it as much as i could and I couldn't see a hint of a crossbar for an A.
 
Counterfeit or not, thats a sweet find. :notworthy:
 
A copper is a copper! Nice one too
 
BY GEORGE IF IT AINT???????????????????????
 
How interesting is that!? Hope to hear more about this! :treasurechest::thumbsup:
 
That KG is a beauty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom