What's new

King George II - Maybe young, maybe old.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
10,209
Golden Thread
3
Location
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched an abandoned farm in the woods a couple days ago. I could not find where the house once sat, but there were lots of stone wall enclosures to explore. One in particular was about 50 yards wide and 75 yards deep. I started loosely gridding it and got a nice solid tone with a VDI of 18-19 on the Equinox. I dug the hole and found this King George II half penny. It is a left facing portrait and I can see the Roman numeral II above his head. The date is gone, as well as much of the detail, so I can’t tell the year or whether it is the young bust or old bust variety. The coins were minted from 1729-1754, so it is definitely an oldie. I found no buttons or other keepers the rest of my search, but lots of shotgun shells, bullet casings, and occasional nails. I am going to give this place another search soon, but this coin might be the sole “needle in a haystack” for this site, at least in the enclosure I was in. Good luck and happy hunting.

IMG_2744.webp
IMG_2743.webp
IMG_2729.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 20
That would be an exciting find for me. It has more detail than the ones I have found, which are always very worn. From what I have read, many of them were worn out in England and then shipped to the colonies for use here. No wonder they are usually nearly blank!
Yours looks substantial, like it is thick, not like some counterfeits which can be thinner.
There may be a little of the date visible under Brittania. Maybe a 7 and a 3. I'm wondering whether more could be revealed by a little mechanical cleaning of the date area.
 
That would be an exciting find for me. It has more detail than the ones I have found, which are always very worn. From what I have read, many of them were worn out in England and then shipped to the colonies for use here. No wonder they are usually nearly blank!
Yours looks substantial, like it is thick, not like some counterfeits which can be thinner.
There may be a little of the date visible under Brittania. Maybe a 7 and a 3. I'm wondering whether more could be revealed by a little mechanical cleaning of the date area.
Thanks, Almy. The coin does feel right to me, so I am thinking it is genuine. I wanted to continue the mechanical cleaning, but it was destroying the underlying detail. I will look closer at the date field, but I do think it is corroded off. Still exciting to me to find an early 1700s coin that is identifiable. Good luck out there!
 
I searched an abandoned farm in the woods a couple days ago. I could not find where the house once sat, but there were lots of stone wall enclosures to explore. One in particular was about 50 yards wide and 75 yards deep. I started loosely gridding it and got a nice solid tone with a VDI of 18-19 on the Equinox. I dug the hole and found this King George II half penny. It is a left facing portrait and I can see the Roman numeral II above his head. The date is gone, as well as much of the detail, so I can’t tell the year or whether it is the young bust or old bust variety. The coins were minted from 1729-1754, so it is definitely an oldie. I found no buttons or other keepers the rest of my search, but lots of shotgun shells, bullet casings, and occasional nails. I am going to give this place another search soon, but this coin might be the sole “needle in a haystack” for this site, at least in the enclosure I was in. Good luck and happy hunting.

View attachment 2264457View attachment 2264458View attachment 2264459
Nothing wrong with finding the "needle in the haystack". That's what makes our hobby/sport so challenging and so much fun. Love that British half penny. Such a great recovery. Congrats!!!!!
 
I searched an abandoned farm in the woods a couple days ago. I could not find where the house once sat, but there were lots of stone wall enclosures to explore. One in particular was about 50 yards wide and 75 yards deep. I started loosely gridding it and got a nice solid tone with a VDI of 18-19 on the Equinox. I dug the hole and found this King George II half penny. It is a left facing portrait and I can see the Roman numeral II above his head. The date is gone, as well as much of the detail, so I can’t tell the year or whether it is the young bust or old bust variety. The coins were minted from 1729-1754, so it is definitely an oldie. I found no buttons or other keepers the rest of my search, but lots of shotgun shells, bullet casings, and occasional nails. I am going to give this place another search soon, but this coin might be the sole “needle in a haystack” for this site, at least in the enclosure I was in. Good luck and happy hunting.

View attachment 2264457View attachment 2264458View attachment 2264459
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom