Wax Seal Matrix from the French Site

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to our site today and did a little work for the landowners. We were able to hunt for a couple hours and i got skunked. My buddy dug what i think is a Wax Seal Matrix with a crown and some possible letters/initials inside of it. Was wondering if this could possibly be French and if so what the letters might be. . Please take a look. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks UPDATE: I got him to send me a couple more pics of the matrix the way he dug it. It has a silver wire attached with a square shaped silver cufflink or button on the end. The button is plain with no design.

Attachments

• Picture0326161853_1.jpeg
    Picture0326161853_1.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Picture0326161850_1.jpg
    Picture0326161850_1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20160326_210201.jpeg
    20160326_210201.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20160326_210214.jpeg
    20160326_210214.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Upvote 14

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn! That's one quality early seal. One of the best finds yet! Definitely French

Last edited:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is awesome!!!!!! I think I may have to vote banner on this. The condition is remarkable!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is very important as I've seen quite a few, and even owned three very similar to it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find.
I soooo want just one of those.
IP, and IH have a few each, but I have yet to get mine.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find.
I soooo want just one of those.
IP, and IH have a few each, but I have yet to get mine.

That's much better quality than what we have found.... earlier too. I'd gladly trade all of mine, and the next 4, for one of those.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's much better quality than what we have found.... earlier too. I'd gladly trade all of mine, and the next 4, for one of those.
That thing is nice. i will have to admit i was pretty jealous when he dug it, but it was his turn to make the find of the day. I wish he had sent a pic of how it looked when he dug it. I will try to get him to send me a complete pic. It had a silver S shaped piece of solid wire and a silver square button or cufflink attached to the end of the wire. Thanks for the ID IP. It came out so clean for being 300 years old.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,now that is a terrific example for us wax seal lovers.The one I found is very fragile.That one looks very sturdy.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to say the bottom looks Silver, and the top is still dirty from the ground.
I guess the short question is it Silver ?

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to say the bottom looks Silver, and the top is still dirty from the ground. I guess the short question is it Silver ?
i couldnt believe how clean it was when it came out of the ground. It had a silver button and wire attached to it. The wire and button was very clean and shiny. The seal itself had a little tarnish on it, and was not as shiny as the button and wire. Im really not sure if the seal is silver, but i dont know what else it could be made out of, especially since it had to be in the ground for 300 years and came out looking so good EDIT. You beat me IP

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.jpg BUTTON/CUFFLINK - PROB WORN THRU A BUTTON HOLE ON HIS VEST FOR EASY ACCESS

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops I missed the "my buddy dug it" part lol. Still a great find

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn! That's one quality early seal. One of the best finds yet! Definitely French

Why its a typical English style of Seal, unless you mean the base design?

This type of English Seal was popular in 1780-1820.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i couldnt believe how clean it was when it came out of the ground. It had a silver button and wire attached to it. The wire and button was very clean and shiny. The seal itself had a little tarnish on it, and was not as shiny as the button and wire. Im really not sure if the seal is silver, but i dont know what else it could be made out of, especially since it had to be in the ground for 300 years and came out looking so good EDIT. You beat me IP

90% sure its silver, look close for any hallmarks, but some where unmarked.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why its a typical English style of Seal, unless you mean the base design?

This type of English Seal was popular in 1780-1820.

Agree typical style, but I have seen that exact shape or very close repeatedly sold out of France. If there's just as many English made the same way, then maybe they were crossing the Channel. It's also possible having seen so many more out of the UK that a small % of this type would not stand out in my mind, as they did with the French where there seemed to be a lower amount and less variety. It is in my head they are French though, so finding it at a French site makes sense to me, but you or anyone are welcome to make the case it can be either or... and that's not a challenge, I'm just interested to know.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree typical style, but I have seen that exact shape or very close repeatedly sold out of France. If there's just as many English made the same way, then maybe they were crossing the Channel. It's also possible having seen so many more out of the UK that a small % of this type would not stand out in my mind, as they did with the French where there seemed to be a lower amount and less variety. It is in my head they are French though, so finding it at a French site makes sense to me, but you or anyone are welcome to make the case it can be either or... and that's not a challenge, I'm just interested to know.
The site was an early 1700s French military encampment/settlement. We have found many French Relics and some Spanish cobs which i think were used by the French. Other than that everything else was US 1860's and upwards. Due to the amount of French items we have dug, i have to assume that this was probably French. I could be wrong, but just wanted to explain how i came to that assumption. I have disclosed much information to IP about our site, and he has been invaluable helping me ID many of the finds.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The site was an early 1700s French military encampment/settlement. We have found many French Relics and some Spanish cobs which i think were used by the French. Other than that everything else was US 1860's and upwards. Due to the amount of French items we have dug, i have to assume that this was probably French. I could be wrong, but just wanted to explain how i came to that assumption. I have disclosed much information to IP about our site, and he has been invaluable helping me ID many of the finds.

Crusader isn't doubting the age, he's suggesting it could be an English made seal that turned up, much the same way as the French used the cobs. The debate, or question right now is... is there anything specific about that seal that can show to a high degree of probability it is French. I think the style does, bit am not 100% sure without a lot of looking around.... but as I said it's in my head as French, and finding it where you did it totally fits. Also, it's very uncommon to find early British relics at the French sites where I've hunted, however, I have turned up three English Stuart Crystal buttons from early cufflinks, at mixed sites, and I have always questioned if they were lost by the French as it fits the time frame much better. To me it's a French seal regardless... someone may be able to show it's possible it could be English made... but unless they can prove it by the matrix, to me it's French.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread