1920 Mercury Dime & Two More Cool Old Medals.......

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's gonna' rain tomorrow so I was determined to get out and hunt this evening while I had the chance.

I went back to my favorite pounded field. I go there so frequently because it's really close to my work and I can go from total chaos to complete peace and quiet in about 15 minutes. Nobody goes to this spot except for me and the critters who live there and I just love it there. Plus, it's been pretty good to me treasure wise. It takes patience and determination to hunt this site at this point because it's getting pretty empty.

So anyway I started swinging and digging the usual trash and a couple of modern pennies. Then I got a super high hit I thought may have been a deep flattened can. It wasn't. Then I thought it was an LC but it turned out to be a huge old religious medal.......

Merc & Two Old Medals April 6 2016 002.JPG Merc & Two Old Medals April 6 2016 003.JPG

These pics are after a quick rinse and a little Dawn. I have it soaking in olive oil. There are words on it but I can't make them out yet. I think it may be copper but I'm just not sure yet. I'm certain it's pretty old.

Then as it was getting dark I decided to hit a spot right on the edge of the woods with a really thick coat of last years' weeds mashed into the ground. I got a faint hit bouncing from the zinc to the silver range which could have been another bottle cap; but I decided to dig it anyway. At least 6 inches down, maybe more, I found yet another old and very ornate medal......

Merc & Two Old Medals April 6 2016 001.JPG

It's inscribed "SJBSS 1913". This area was once frequented by Jesuit priests a very long time ago. This is why these medals are turning up. This is my fourth this year. It looks like razor thin silver but I'm not completely sure at this point. I'm hoping it is and based on the condition and appearance it could be but there are no markings. The reverse is plain and smooth. It definitely has that silver ring when it's dropped but I can't be sure until it's tested.

So it got darker and I was psyched after finding the 2nd medal so I decided to dig a few more while I could still see a little. I got another faint, high hit not three feet from where I dug the 2nd medal and dug my first silver coin of the year and the first silver coin with my new Omega; a pretty worn 1920 Merc.....

Merc & Two Old Medals April 6 2016 005.JPG Merc & Two Old Medals April 6 2016 004.JPG

This coin was also deep; at least 7 inches; maybe more. I didn't measure it but it was definitely down a ways.

I've mentioned before that I've dug hundreds of pre 1965 coins from this site yet only one silver in almost two years; a 1957 Rosie. There's been plenty of silver and gold jewelry and several silver medals but the coins have been lacking.

My instincts have been telling me there had to be at least SOME silver somewhere and after tonight I think I've been vindicated a little on that score. I'm not convinced there's much there but with the Omega, I think I have a better shot at finding what may be there.

I'm more than happy with the Omega. IMO it's a fantastic machine. It's definitely sniffing out targets that I guess the Delta never saw. I'm loving it more every time I use it. The guy I bought it from told me that it really LOVES round objects and he wasn't kidding.

I guess that's about it.
Thanks for looking and HH......

Last edited:
Upvote 8

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great finds!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is always hard to tell the age of those copper/brass based medals. I don't think they have changed much in a long time. I was lucky to have hunted "my" goto field before detecting around here got so popular. The people I have talked to that also detect there haven't admitted to finding much after I was there lol. Congrats on all those nice finds.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice silver and interesting medal's. Is that a date on it possibly? 1913

Congrats

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver and interesting medal's. Is that a date on it possibly? 1913

Congrats

Yeah it's a date. These Jesuits were in the area from the 1880's to the late 60's. A few old coins have also come from this site dating back to an 1886 IH, an 1895 V Nickel (found not by me but a 7 year old hunting buddy) and lots of Wheaties going back to 1910.

So if it's not a date I would be very surprised. Plus it was pretty deep which is a pretty good sign it's been there a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is always hard to tell the age of those copper/brass based medals. I don't think they have changed much in a long time. I was lucky to have hunted "my" goto field before detecting around here got so popular. The people I have talked to that also detect there haven't admitted to finding much after I was there lol. Congrats on all those nice finds.

I'm still really lucky that detecting isn't popular in my area; at least not yet. When I started hitting this site early on I'm pretty sure it was a virgin site.
They're not easy to find as you well know.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That silver medal does have that very old look to it,both are nice finds.

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics and a great write up/trip report!!!

Love reading descriptive reports while sitting in the office on a rainy day pretending to work.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics and a great write up/trip report!!!

Love reading descriptive reports while sitting in the office on a rainy day pretending to work.

It's raining like HELL here; a real April soaker.
I'm so glad I went out yesterday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread