Key date Barber Dime!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
My sister-in-law is in town and had my wife occupied, so I snuck out after work to the place that I found the Capped Bust half dime on Monday. It started slow with some Wheats. Then I hit a 1901 IHP, a few modern coins, followed by a nickel spill. I thought it was four old Jeffersons, but one of them turned out to be a Buffalo. This spill was very interesting to me as the Jefferson dates are 1942, 1948, 1948, and the 42 is not silver. At one spot, I found a wheat, then a foot further found a memorial, then a foot further hit the 1961d Rosie. I finished up for the day, but decided to go rescan the area where I dug the Barber dime and half dime on Monday before I left. I'm glad I did, not only did I find another Barber dime, but according to Redbook, it's a good one, 1894o! The internet is saying that it's a key date. If this is the case, it's my first key date!

The E-Trac is really working out well for me! Here are the pics. Thanks for looking!

20160407 Totals.jpg

20160407 1894o Barber Dime.jpg

Upvote 20

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 6 1893 and one 1895 but just cant seem to get that 1894, your coin is in very good condition looks to have a full liberty too, an awesome find for sure congrats to yah....

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You owe the sister in law a day at the spa:icon_thumright:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Another nice hunt CC. That dime is really sweet. Congrats and best of luck to you sir!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great find - Though...........It's going price is around 70 -75 dollars for a "good" condition coin.
The main problem with coins, you have to get them certified by PCGS or a like to get the true value. That certification can cost up to $100.00.

If anyone on this forum knows of people buying un-certified coins for book value - please let me know.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it fascinating? First of all, so many old coins found in the dirt like we do. But, ever notice how many times it just happens to be a key date in a series of coins?

Simply fascinating!

Nice!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Superb find CC and in great condition too!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It's a great find - Though...........It's going price is around 70 -75 dollars for a "good" condition coin.
The main problem with coins, you have to get them certified by PCGS or a like to get the true value. That certification can cost up to $100.00.

If anyone on this forum knows of people buying un-certified coins for book value - please let me know.

Look at the link I posted on the ones that sold on Fee-Bay. Worn flat ones sold for over 30.00. The link I posted was SOLD listings, not completed listings or listings now. Every one was a completed sale. His coin for sure will sell for over 150.00 UNGRADED. Probably close to 200.00.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That coin is not in "good" condition, it's in Very Fine, and should probably sell for $200-250. There's no need to send it for certification as that is usually just done to authenticate an extremely rare coin or to tell tiny differences between grades for an uncirculated one. This is a beautiful mid-grade circulated coin with no problems, it's not rare enough to need a slab and I think you could just take it down to a coin shop or show and find an offer in that range if you wanted to sell it. Awesome dig!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you were correct Jersey - 1st there is no way for you to tell the condition by looking at it on TN. 2nd I've tried to sell many coins to MANY different shops IE: I have $500.00 over date Merc in great condition, dealers are willing to give me 200.00 tops unless it's certified. Then if certified they still want to give me 350 because they say "they have to make money" on it.
Just the facts Joe!!
Please let me know this "shop" that pays so well - I 'd love to go there!!!!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Such a thrill to find old silver, when you get something rare it really adds to the excitement. It's not what it's not necessarily what it's worth, it's the story. I know for me I can remember everything about my best finds. Congrats on a great coin,

Steve

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I wish you were correct Jersey - 1st there is no way for you to tell the condition by looking at it on TN. 2nd I've tried to sell many coins to MANY different shops IE: I have $500.00 over date Merc in great condition, dealers are willing to give me 200.00 tops unless it's certified. Then if certified they still want to give me 350 because they say "they have to make money" on it.
Just the facts Joe!!
Please let me know this "shop" that pays so well - I 'd love to go there!!!!

Why don't you try fee bay with a reserve? Can't hurt at all. I sold my gold coin on it and was quite pleased with the ending price.

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you've had some Happy Hunting, CC!. Congrats on the Barber key!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread