🥇 BANNER Last hunt with Iron Patch and claimed "Victory" - Rare early cufflink!

cerebus

Oct 9, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Etrac CTX
It was my last hunt in the Iron Patch stomping ground and we returned to the site where he had dug the Machin's Mills halfpenny and I was not left disappointed. In fact, I could not wait to get home before posting this one up! I've dug a few bits here and there this trip, enough for a decent post with yesterday and today, but sites are tough, so this find both saved the day and my hunt in general... as far as getting a good keeper on this trip.

Targets were much more plentiful than either of us had expected and about half way through our 4 hour hunt I dig this cufflink and seeing the anchors I knew immediately I had something good. I walked over and showed IP and said Navy?... he said no, not really. I then said Marines... and he said not that either and these don't seem to have been issued by the military. Then I handed them over and he said... "There's words on there, I've never seen that before! Not on a cufflink with an early anchor design" So that got my interest too. :tongue3: We could see a letter N, but I was clueless what it said. Later in the hunt IP got my attention and said that it's going to say Nelson! As in Horatio Lord Nelson! He said he had seen other patriotic cufflinks with British Royal Navy Admiral's names and he was very sure the N would be for Nelson, and he was right! Then at the car I said there was another word, and he said I bet it's going to be "Victory" ... and he was right again! Once back to his place he did a quick cleaning and I now have this rare and beautiful Navy associated cufflink to go in my collection. I really had no idea about this, but seeing his reaction it's all I needed to know I had something special. :headbang: Thanks again IP... you're the best, just never on the last hunt. :laughing7:

Late 1700s/early 1800s British Royal Navy - Lord Nelson Patriotic Victory cufflink.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20160714_184350.jpg
    thumbnail_20160714_184350.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 841
Upvote 62

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my copper but you stole the hunt with that one! I can't really imagine a cufflink I'd be happier to find here so you definitely have my banner vote for that one. Pretty rare and one of the best cufflinks ever posted on here.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a very unique and special find. Very nice keeper.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spectacular cuff links finds and "congrats" to you and thanks for sharing your picture and story and wish you many more while out dirt fishin.

Texas ED

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Wow!
If I just zigged when I should have zagged the last time I was in that field ......
Beautiful piece of history, you should be very proud of that one!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous find! Very nice!

aj

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find. Congrats on stealing the show!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is certainly a beautiful and rare piece of history right there...Congrats...Isn't IP the best host!!
Banner Vote going in...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cerebus,

Good going on the rare cufflinks and in pretty decent shape given the age.

Regards + HH

Bill

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely love those cufflinks and I'm voting Banner! I'm curious about the shanks. Are they "soldered on" loops or "cast in" drilled eye wedge?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing the post that is history I would love to find amazing wow!!!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn those are incredible!!!! You get my BANNER vote. And I am damn happy it was your coil that went over the links and not his. Those sure would have helped out in our friendly little competition ��

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn those are incredible!!!! You get my BANNER vote. And I am damn happy it was your coil that went over the links and not his. Those sure would have helped out in our friendly little competition ��

I would have been close too! Was right in the area he dug them, and several times too. Most finds were in iron so it was about working out signals that might not have been the strongest sounding, and sometimes just the angle you swing makes it or breaks it. I know these well enough to say it's a pretty damn rare find, and I'm sure would make any Nelson collector a little giddy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread