I thought it was just another toasted copper, probably one of my favorite finds now!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, the silver shoe buckle fragment shown below wasn't found today, but it's definitely crucial to understanding why I think this coin is so cool. Anyways, today I went metal detecting at a site that I've regularly gone to for years now, and have had plenty of luck there, with handfuls of colonial copper coins, tons and tons of colonial buttons, and various other colonial finds. Today I went closer to a stream that I haven't checked around as much, and quickly got a good signal not too deep. I dug it, and quickly revealed a pretty toasted looking copper. I was pretty happy though, with my first coin I've found this year being almost certainly a colonial coin. I continued metal detecting for around another half an hour until it got dark, and my only other find was a colonial button with the silver plating peeling off rather oddly. The button was also a cool find, because it's exactly identical to another button I found at this site, except in much worse condition, but definitely worn by the same person. I didn't think much about my finds until later today when I decided to check out the coin for more details. I noticed a clear, but very small, counterstamp while cleaning it off a bit, and took a closer look to it. It clearly said "WH", though something about it looked extremely familiar. I suddenly thought of a silver shoe buckle fragment I dug at this same site back in around 2014, probably no more than 200 feet away, and realized that's where it seemed familiar from. I checked the shoe buckle fragment, and sure enough, the identical WH mark. I was immediately blown away, and excited to have a whole new story on this toasted copper. I don't know why, but something about two seemingly unrelated finds at a site being related really is cool to me in how it ties the history of the place together. I'd guess that "WH" was a local silversmith, and the counterstamp on the coin is either him testing out his hallmark, or an advertisement for himself. Either way, super cool, and it feels great recovering a missing piece of local history, otherwise completely lost.

Also, after looking a little more, I think there's a good chance that the coin is a Liberty Cap large cent, which I think would be my first, and my oldest American (non-state copper) coin, though this could just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

counter.png
buckle1.png
buckle2.png
button.png

Last edited:
Upvote 23

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool story and recoveries.
Makes me wonder if the counter stamp was given to the purchaser of the silver buckle as a thank you token.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each one of those relics is awesome on its own, but the connection between them takes it to another level!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice detective work and I like your analysis. Now to find out more about that particular WH hallmark!
I also like the engraving on that buckle. It appears to have been a gift some 200+ years ago. It would really be interesting to see if the initials correspond to previous landowners, especially husband/wife gift.
Thanks for posting these pics and story behind them. Hope more research produces additional information!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like your typical counter stamp. Much more elaborate IMO, like what a jeweler would use. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread