What's new

My Spanish Grandaddy

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
3,610
Reaction score
11,521
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800 & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Out with a buddy today at one of our older permissions in the rain and fog covering some ground we’ve lightly hit before. He has never dug a Spanish Reale and has seen me and my other buddies dig several so he’s digging everything. About a half hour into the hunt, he digs a 19-20 on his equinox 800 and out pops a toasted half Reale, the only thing I could make out was the Roman numeral lll, but being so thin there’s a 95% chance it is a half Reale. He’s going to soak it a little as it was covered in thick mud and other spooge. Anyway, after that he dug copper after copper, 5 total, 4 braided hair and a KGll. I’m starting to get pissed because I’ve dug what I think is a flying eagle, a 8” deep clad quarter and hundreds of beaver tails. We switched fields and I started finding some things, a livery button, V nickel, Connecticut copper and some other debris. Then I got a choppy 58 on my Deus ll, dug it, busted tombac button and I probably busted it. So, disgusted in myself, I took a big swing with my machine and I got a bangin’ deep 91, I said to myself “ here comes another deep clad quarter” so I popped the plug and I saw a giant silver disc and I actually thought it was a washer or some other aluminum doohicky until I gave it a wipe and saw 1774 looking back at me. A really nice 8 Reale, never in a million years did I ever think I would dig a coin like this, I’m still in disbelief.
Happy hunting
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1398.webp
    IMG_1398.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_1401.webp
    IMG_1401.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1400.webp
    IMG_1400.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2320.webp
    IMG_2320.webp
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 92
Out with a buddy today at one of our older permissions in the rain and fog covering some ground we’ve lightly hit before. He has never dug a Spanish Reale and has seen me and my other buddies dig several so he’s digging everything. About a half hour into the hunt, he digs a 19-20 on his equinox 800 and out pops a toasted half Reale, the only thing I could make out was the Roman numeral lll, but being so thin there’s a 95% chance it is a half Reale. He’s going to soak it a little as it was covered in thick mud and other spooge. Anyway, after that he dug copper after copper, 5 total, 4 braided hair and a KGll. I’m starting to get pissed because I’ve dug what I think is a flying eagle, a 8” deep clad quarter and hundreds of beaver tails. We switched fields and I started finding some things, a livery button, V nickel, Connecticut copper and some other debris. Then I got a choppy 58 on my Deus ll, dug it, busted tombac button and I probably busted it. So, disgusted in myself, I took a big swing with my machine and I got a bangin’ deep 91, I said to myself “ here comes another deep clad quarter” so I popped the plug and I saw a giant silver disc and I actually thought it was a washer or some other aluminum doohicky until I gave it a wipe and saw 1774 looking back at me. A really nice 8 Reale, never in a million years did I ever think I would dig a coin like this, I’m still in disbelief.
Happy hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 
Great for you! I've been detecting for a Spanish 8 for over 25 years and finally bought one just so I could see and feel it! The other coins you are finding are neat too. A fine old site.
 
8 Reales!! Holy smokes!! I say BANNER on that one. I don’t recall the last time I saw a Spanish silver of that size and age posted. Congrats on finding such a glorious old silver.
 
Here it is after a warm water bath, must have been dropped when it was fairly new, very crispy details
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2321.webp
    IMG_2321.webp
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2322.webp
    IMG_2322.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
Out with a buddy today at one of our older permissions in the rain and fog covering some ground we’ve lightly hit before. He has never dug a Spanish Reale and has seen me and my other buddies dig several so he’s digging everything. About a half hour into the hunt, he digs a 19-20 on his equinox 800 and out pops a toasted half Reale, the only thing I could make out was the Roman numeral lll, but being so thin there’s a 95% chance it is a half Reale. He’s going to soak it a little as it was covered in thick mud and other spooge. Anyway, after that he dug copper after copper, 5 total, 4 braided hair and a KGll. I’m starting to get pissed because I’ve dug what I think is a flying eagle, a 8” deep clad quarter and hundreds of beaver tails. We switched fields and I started finding some things, a livery button, V nickel, Connecticut copper and some other debris. Then I got a choppy 58 on my Deus ll, dug it, busted tombac button and I probably busted it. So, disgusted in myself, I took a big swing with my machine and I got a bangin’ deep 91, I said to myself “ here comes another deep clad quarter” so I popped the plug and I saw a giant silver disc and I actually thought it was a washer or some other aluminum doohicky until I gave it a wipe and saw 1774 looking back at me. A really nice 8 Reale, never in a million years did I ever think I would dig a coin like this, I’m still in disbelief.
Happy hunting
Big time gratz!! What a coin and what a save. Really happy for you
 
Great find!
Any time you need to put a smile on your face, recalling this extraction should do it!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom