What's new

1,301,399,874...

joad

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
511
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
= the total number of Kennedys minted through 1970. Don't know how many have been melted, but even if only 10% still exist thats still over 130 million. This doesn't even include Franklins, Walkers etc. I say we set a collective goal of finding all of them!
 
Upvote 0
I'll bet there are a couple of dozen out of that lot left in my State. I'm determined to find them :thumbsup:
 
add another 12 million for the proofs, we find them also.... WELL you guys do I cant find silver halves!!! LOL!!!

Jason
 
They are all sitting in a well hidden bank in BFE Iowa. I mean it is always the last place you look you know. Besides has anyone ever heard of a CRHunter in Iowa? Didn't think so.

Golden Silver
 
Daveiniowa I think was his handle...he was from the cedar falls are.He started out pretty well then things dried up for him.He still posts in the md forum but i think he gave up crhing.My girlfriends family is in iowa and they bpick up a few here and ther.they dont order boxes but get halves wherever they go.And i occasionally gp with her when she visits so i get a few to.Nothing great but its a lot better than anything in ohio lol...nothing but skunks here for the most part.hh jon
 
You forgot to factor in the fact that LJ has been doing this for a few years already. That probably accounts for 20% of all the non-melted halves that were ever made. Those halves are CLAIMED already.

:-)
 
I venture over into Iowa on my occasional road trips. Haven't found much there, much better luck in Nebraska.
 
I read an article that someone posted here a year ago that estimated that at least 75% of silver coins were melted down in 1979-80. Only cull Morgans and Peace dollars were melted.
 
Rich are you saying that in 1980 only morgans and peace were melted? Not other types of coin? I would hope so. I would believe that silver quarters and dimes were melted on a large scale. There is just so few of them now. Maybe they are in private collections.

Golden Silver
 
GS,
what I meant to say was that 79-80 3/4 of the common silver coins were melted. The good Morgans and Peace dollars were not with the exception of the culls.
A lot of Morgans were melted down years earlier as the other poster pointed out. Some of the experts say that during the great 79-80 melt anywhere from 75% to 98% of 20th century silver coins were melted down. Then again nobody kept records so this is a guess at best in my opinion.
 
Well you got to think all the stuff that was in private collections that has since been turned in to banks as well as all the stuff that has been dug up and turned in and all the new s mint silvers that get turned in.

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom