1 lb .999 fine Titanium Bullion

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
00H0H_fRxgGfFYlTm_1200x900.jpg

Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me identify the maker of this bullion bar. I am looking to buy this but I have not been able to find any other ones with the liberty head on it. The owner does not have any paperwork for it so I am a little hesitant. He is asking $30 for the Bar.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It doesn't even look like any cast Titanium I've seen. Titanium is silvery gray metal. The one you show might be sand cast?

There is no market for small lot Titanium so even calling it bullion is pretty misleading. Bullion is specific to gold and silver in their non ornamental, non coin refined states.

Titanium in commercial grades is 99.2% purity so the 99.999 purity is suspicious. These style bars retail for about $30 - $35 new as novelty items. Titanium metal for commercial use sells for about $1.75 a pound. Titanium is the 7th most common metal on earth so I doubt you will see any gain in price that would ever make that bar worth more than the asking price.

Usually novelty bars like this don't make note of the casting company. If you like the bar and understand it's neither bullion nor an investment opportunity the price is near retail pricing. There are many other novelty bars to choose from, curiously all the ones I've seen actually look like Titanium metal.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Its the latest scam in Europe. Sellers claiming that it is directly from the US Gov and selling between 37-30 bucks each.

Interpol Counterfeit guys picked up on a pretty good size manufacturing facility in Czech about 11 months ago. Vastly advertised in Europe, little sold, most goes over to the US and CA where it is sold. Always the same thing to, they lost the paperwork or have no paperwork and that is why they are selling it 10-15% under spot.

We see lots of this stuff, I always try to collect as much of it as I can, from superbills, coins and so on. Took me 11 years to get my hands on a Superbill marked Islamic States of America.

Offer the guy dollar because it is not worth more than that.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Titanium isn't particularly rare or valuable. Just useful. Invest in known valuable's.
Amazing scams out there. Tungsten is almost as heavy as gold. Now some are drilling gold bars and filling them with tungsten and fooling some into thinking they bought a gold bar. Tungsten isn't worth much compared to gold.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Titanium isn't particularly rare or valuable. Just useful. Invest in known valuable's.
Amazing scams out there. Tungsten is almost as heavy as gold. Now some are drilling gold bars and filling them with tungsten and fooling some into thinking they bought a gold bar. Tungsten isn't worth much compared to gold.

Not quite.... they are just making fake gold bars that imitate real mints. They use titanium (or other similar, heavy metal) cores with a thick real gold shell. But this is how they are made, they are not taking real bars and filling them.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A recent Pawn Stars show says they use tungsten. Titanium isn't heavy compared to gold or tungsten.
The specific gravity of gold and tungsten are almost identical. 19.32 and 19.3 where titanium is only 4.55.
A bar could also be cast of tungsten and covered with gold.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A recent Pawn Stars show says they use tungsten. Titanium isn't heavy compared to gold or tungsten.
The specific gravity of gold and tungsten are almost identical. 19.32 and 19.3 where titanium is only 4.55.
A bar could also be cast of tungsten and covered with gold.

Yes, you are right. Tungsten is the one I had in mind. Mis-type. Thanks for the correction!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread