10" coil for a discovery 3300

J

JDETT

10" coil for a discovery 3300

Has anyone used the Magnum 10" coil on Discovery 3300? I have found a found a site that was used extensively from about 1800 until electricity became common, when the site was abandoned. I want to go deeper and use Max power without being slowed down by false signals. The site is prone to flooding so the ground stays moist. So far the few iron and brass pieces I've found are at 8" Also has anyone used the 10" coil on the beach and is it worth the money and extra weight? Any trouble with the wet sand?

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Re: 10" coil for a discovery 3300

I use the 10 inch coil constantly on my Titan 3000 XD, in Florida soil there is no problem, same for beach use. If you are in a very trashy area smaller is better, but after you work the site you could then work up to the large coil. I would check with air test before hunting (regularly till your comfortable) because, if you have manual ground balance, to make sure you are not bumping the knob around.

OP
OP
J

JDETT

Sherpa t

Where do you set the power? Does the 10" coil handle high power better then the 8"

My goal is to pay for the 3300 as quickly as possible, that means finding some jewelry. Have

you had any luck finding small woman's rings or ear rings? I saw the 10" coil at Amazon for

39.95, Pretty hard to resist at that price.

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006

I have gotten a few deep coins with my 3300 but they were not stable signals, damp soil seems to help a lot with depth. I deepest smallest coin I have dug was a mercury dime at 7 inches, I got a dime reading on it after 1 week of rain at max sensitivity in my front yard. I end up digging a lot more trash at max sensitivity and I get a LOT of iron 1 depth 10 in most places.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used

I would not think based on my use that the 8 vs the 10 size has any effect on " power" ( sensitivity as your implying) Sensitivity is effected more by whats around you. Example steel poles in a playground set, amounts of trash targets in ground. In some cases smaller coil is going to get closer before being effected. As you read posts you may notice alot of detector folks like the 4 to 5 inch coils.
As far as luck with Jewlery, yes I've found a few rings, small gem set pendant that fell to ground (my guess when chain broke) etc. but you are looking at some odd target numbers and will have to dig alot of trash if your going to persue the jewlery finds.
The gem pendant tone hit like a zinc penny and second pass i think a 16 , nice gold ring was a 30 with the nickel tone which is just a bit different if you focus. I got a lot of samples and tested them to see what KT number hit at what target id #.
As far a the damp soil, I have gotten false signals from roots and root chunks in areas where land is being cleared, right after rain and wet soil.( roots can absorb minerals) The day after is better for me ( again in my soil) where the soil you dig is evenly moist.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used

I looked at your first post again and here you are looking for items from 1800"s, so if the ground is clean of modern trash ( alum cans and tops for example) then I would hunt with the 10 inch coil in all metal mode for best depth. I hunted a old site a few weeks ago first night Titan - 1907,1904 dimes, 1907 indian 1919 wheat. couple more bad Indians.
Second night Tesoro SLT: V nickel and bad indian, some trash - old style pop top rings.
Third night Titan - more Indians poor condition then a super nice 3 ring mini ball !! and finally I thought another V nickel but after soaking and soaking it's a Buffalo nickel.
It was a small lot, so that goes to show try try again.

OP
OP
J

JDETT

Thanks for all for your replies. I ordered a 10" coil from Amazon 39.95 they say Aug.24-26 as an arrival date. As I said, I want to use it to search for relics along a river and jewelry at the New Jersey beach. My main concern is, will the 10" coil see a small woman's ring at 7-8"? I will post when I find out. I m using 3300 and the 10" to search areas that are to dangerous to use a high priced machine.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a 10" coil for my LandRanger. Wonder if it will work on the 3300? I think I might give it a try and see what happens. I don't think I can hurt anything if it don't work? Monty

OP
OP
J

JDETT

I finally had a chance to use the 10" coil on my Discovery 3300. I hunt a 100 year old school yard that's close to my house as a sort of test area. I used a ML Quattro and the 3300 with the 8" coil and I tried to "grid" a 20 by 50' area and dig all the non iron metal. I was amazed to find 4 clad quarters and 3 dimes, 1 silver at about 7" in an area I thought I cleaned out. I also dug a lot of aluminum that didn't show up on previous searches. Pinpointing is not as easy with the 10" coil. There was no popping the coins out with a screwdriver. Some of the holes were 6" wide or wider. Still I think the 10" coil will be OK when I get to relic hunt along a river where it doesn't matter how wide the hole is, and there is little chance of digging chopped up soda cans. I have a feeling it will be a good beach machine also.
I wouldn't recommend the 10" coil for any site that isn't aluminum free, I wasted to much time zeroing in on a target with trash near by. The 8"coil is much faster for coin shooting. For $39 it's a nice tool to have in my arsenal. It's about half the weight of the 10" ML coil, so I can hunt longer.

P

PostFatal

Now you need the 4" for the really trashy areas and for up close to fences and posts and maybe some nugget shooting in between the rocks. ;)

OP
OP
J

JDETT

Yeah, your right about the 4" coil. I found a football field with bleachers ( lots of metal posts) that appears to be unhunted.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just heard back from the BH advisory staff and they said the extra coils for my LandRanger would work just fine on the RS 3300. Monty

W

wes1945

A little advice sought. I recently bought not one but two 3300,s. They came with the standard 10" coil. I hunt mainly schools and parks, also have a place on the Gulf Coast, with what I have seen very few hunters. Will the 4" coil be better at pinpointing and how about the sand? Any changes other need to be made other than factory. Any and all opinions and advice appreciated.

P

PostFatal

wes1945 said:
A little advice sought. I recently bought not one but two 3300,s. They came with the standard 10" coil.

the standard coil is an 8" open spider coil (circle inside a circle connected by three spokes) and pinpoints in the center of the inner circle. I believe that both the 10" and 4" are solid coils and are pinpointed by using the x'ing method. if the coils are new then they are water proof. some ppl say that when you get additional coils then the unit and coils should be sent to Bounty Hunter for calibration but others say this is not necessary. hope this is of some help to you.

W

wes1945

Thanks, I made a mistake ( hard to believe) I do have the 8 inch coil. There is so much trash, that it is very difficult to seperate out the good from the trash. I think I am going to try a 4 inch and it " should" at least make pinpointing easier. I will look for Bounty unters email or phone number and see what they say about changing coils. Thanks and anyone else that has done this please let me known.

B

BIG BAD JOHN

Both the 8" and 10" coils are concentric spider coils, while the 4" coil is a solid concentric coil. The 4" will pinpoint easier due to its smaller diameter and is deadly good in the trash on a 3300. I sent my 3300 and all 3 coils back to BH for 'calibration' which means that they select 3 coils that match up to each other and the machine as closely as possible.

While your 3300 may work right out of the box with either the 4" or 10" accessory coils, it will help in the area of VDI and TID consistency from coil to coil. I figured they would return the 8" coil that originally came with the unit, but BH changed out all 3 of my coils and did some work on the inside of the control box according to the letter sent by the technician when the unit was returned to me. My 3300 was pretty good before the calibration procedure, but it is fairly deep and very stable now. I also upgraded the upper stem to the type found on the LandRanger and TimeRanger with the locking collar. Really helps to stabilize the lower rod and eliminate coil falsing. BBJ

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300

Can someone tell me what the charge is for calibrating the coils? Thanks.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just wondering.....Since they told me the coils would work from in my LandRanger, is it the coil that is calibrated or is it the machine? I don't see how they could do much to the coils? Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, that's what I thought! ;) Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread