What's new

10 x 5" widescan elliptical?

jharhed

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
827
Reaction score
140
Golden Thread
0
Location
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 x 5" widescan elliptical?

Anyone have any experience with the 10" elliptical widescan as far as depth and pinpointing with a vaquero?
 
Re: 10" widescan elliptical?

No. But I'm interested. I'm getting the 5.75" for fathers day, ::), but I'm thinking about the big coil soon. I've heard it's amazing.
Randy
 
Re: 10" widescan elliptical?

The 10"x12" IS an amazing coil. You can expect an depth increase of two to three inches in most cases and pinpointing is a snap once you get the hang of it. All of Tesoro's "Widescan" coils are essentially "DD" coils. The big difference in Layman's terms - the concentric style coils (the stock 9"x8") send a "cone-shaped" signal into the ground while the "DD" style coils send a "blade-like" signal. Concentric coils pinpoint dead-center while the "DD" pinpoints in the center, but along the whole length from front to back. I found that the signal/tone was substantially louder toward the middle center of the "DD" as opposed to being near the front or back. The good 'ol "x-ing" method works great with this coil. Anyone with some detecting time under their belt should pick it up rather quickly. Once I got the hang of that monster, I didn't want to take it off. It definitely makes quick work of large areas. It also does a fantastic job of picking through the garbage (surprising for such a big coil). Hope this helps you out brother. Happy hunting... :thumbsup:
 
Re: 10" widescan elliptical?

Sorry, I meant the 10 x 5
 
Re: 10" widescan elliptical?

RPG said:
No. But I'm interested. I'm getting the 5.75" for fathers day, ::), but I'm thinking about the big coil soon. I've heard it's amazing.
Randy

I love this small coil! It works great in trashy areas and it's so darn light it's like carrying a light weight stick instead of a metal detector. Let us know how you like it, and early Happy Fathers Day!
 
Re: 10 x 5" widescan elliptical?

jharhed said:
Anyone have any experience with the 10" elliptical widescan as far as depth and pinpointing with a vaquero?

I have one, I just got it. I also have the 5.75 widescan. I didn't notice any serious depth increase with the 10x5 over the other 5.75, but I really like it for covering a lot of area. Pinpointing with a widescan is the same for any size coil. Forward and back in both directions, not side to side. It pinpoints well as "X marks the spot". I may be biased on the 10x5 coil since my second hit with it was a 1902 V nickle in an area I had already gone over with the 9x8 concentric.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom