CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

10-year-old lad finds medieval relic within MINUTES of using metal detector, gets $5,000 for it

priory-swns.jpg

10-Year-old Finds Medieval Priory Seal Within Minutes of Using Metal Detector and Gets $5,000 For it​

A ten-year-old boy who found an 800-year-old medieval priory seal matrix with his metal detector has raked in a small fortune after it sold for £4,000.
WWW.GOODNEWSNETWORK.ORG
George Henderson, a 10-year-old British chap, found an 800-year-old medieval relic in November. He sold the relic for £4,000 ($5,239) on Thursday to a private UK buyer at an auction.

"It displays the Virgin Mary and Child with a Latin seal which translates to Seal of the Priory and Convent of Butley, of Adam, Canon Regular," Good News Network reports. "The area where it was found is connected to Butley Priory, a religious house for canons founded near Woodbridge in 1171. Adam served as its prior from 1219 to 1235."
The relic was designated as having "Regional Importance" on the Portable Antiquities Scheme database.

"I'm happy I discovered it," George said.

That's pretty neat!​

George found the relic just ten minutes after he and his dad began searching a field in Woodbridge, Suffolk. The artifact was only five inches below the ground!

"He seems to be better at making important finds than me," George's dad, Paul, said. "Having said that, there have been plenty of times when he's come back with nothing."
"I always tell him to keep at it, and he got his reward."
"George must have the Midas touch. I hope it will inspire him to keep metal detecting and unearthing more history."
Paul said the seal's "historical importance" is what's most important to him and his son, adding that it's the "most exciting find" either of them has ever made.

(I need to get myself one of those fancy-schmancy metal detectors...)

How neat is that?​

OP
OP
CreakyDigger

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting