What's new

100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob - Update

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
3,283
Reaction score
240
Golden Thread
1
Location
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I had some extra time so I did a quick hunt at a private house that I've had permission to hunt for a long time but just never had the time to hunt it. The property is rather large and dates back to the early 1800s. When I first arrive the owner walked the property and gave me a quick history lesson of what he knew. I picked out a few places and did some hunting around some large old trees.

There were not that many old coins. I found one 1917S Mercury dime and five wheat pennies with some modern clad. Also found a 1946 Austria 2 Shilling and a lead seal. Most of the property is covered in thick poison ivy and the areas that I thought had the most potential were off limits at this time due to the ivy. I also found what I believe is a large cent at a park last week but it is so crusty I can't tell what it is and a religious metal.

Update - I have quite a few crusty coins that I think are large cents but I can't see any details. One of my friends built me a electrolysis set up and I was able to clean the large cent I found a few weeks ago at the park by my work. Turned out to be a 1817 which is my oldest confirmed coin to date. It is not in great shape and it is very pitted but still cool...I'll post pictures when I get some time. I'll have to clean some more and see what else I have. This thrill is like finding the coin a second time.

P9141028.jpg


My favorite find was a watch fob for the 1904 Roosevelt-Fairbanks presidential campaign. Theodore Roosevelt and Charles Fairbanks campaigned for President and Vice President. The front reads ' Roosevelt 1904 Fairbanks Washington' and the back is blank.

I will have to go back once the poison ivy dies down and look for some of the 1800s coins I know must be there. As I was getting ready to leave the owner told me his basement has a dirt floor and if I want to hunt it this winter I'm welcome to do so.

Thanks for looking.

NJ

P9141029.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

I love seeing all the different campaign watch fobs...keep them coming. I may have to buy a Parker/Davis watch fob then make a shadow box display. Would make for an interesting conversation piece.

Thanks for sharing.

NJ
 
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Nice finds,I'd be really pumped about that dirt basement.
Jim
 
I posted an update above.

My oldest coin to date.

NJ
 
I found this one while tectin at my brother inlaws house in northwestern Connecticut. 8 inches down under a root.
 

Attachments

  • PARKERDAVIS.webp
    PARKERDAVIS.webp
    236.5 KB · Views: 270
Killer fob and watch out for that poison ivy, from what I've heard, digging the roots will be just as dangerous. Fortunately, the only time it effects me is if it comes in contact with a skin abrasion.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom