What's new

100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob - Update

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
3,283
Reaction score
240
Golden Thread
1
Location
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I had some extra time so I did a quick hunt at a private house that I've had permission to hunt for a long time but just never had the time to hunt it. The property is rather large and dates back to the early 1800s. When I first arrive the owner walked the property and gave me a quick history lesson of what he knew. I picked out a few places and did some hunting around some large old trees.

There were not that many old coins. I found one 1917S Mercury dime and five wheat pennies with some modern clad. Also found a 1946 Austria 2 Shilling and a lead seal. Most of the property is covered in thick poison ivy and the areas that I thought had the most potential were off limits at this time due to the ivy. I also found what I believe is a large cent at a park last week but it is so crusty I can't tell what it is and a religious metal.

Update - I have quite a few crusty coins that I think are large cents but I can't see any details. One of my friends built me a electrolysis set up and I was able to clean the large cent I found a few weeks ago at the park by my work. Turned out to be a 1817 which is my oldest confirmed coin to date. It is not in great shape and it is very pitted but still cool...I'll post pictures when I get some time. I'll have to clean some more and see what else I have. This thrill is like finding the coin a second time.

P9141028.jpg


My favorite find was a watch fob for the 1904 Roosevelt-Fairbanks presidential campaign. Theodore Roosevelt and Charles Fairbanks campaigned for President and Vice President. The front reads ' Roosevelt 1904 Fairbanks Washington' and the back is blank.

I will have to go back once the poison ivy dies down and look for some of the 1800s coins I know must be there. As I was getting ready to leave the owner told me his basement has a dirt floor and if I want to hunt it this winter I'm welcome to do so.

Thanks for looking.

NJ

P9141029.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Love the campain watch fob.
Someone in Buckle Boy's Brigade found a similarly historic find recently.
Great job
Chris
 
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

I like the watch fob.Nice find. :thumbsup:
 
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

NJ - Beautiful Political find from way back !! :thumbsup:

I'd be right in the posionous ivy , its never really bothered me , but may I suggest some 'Roundup' ;D
Congrats :occasion14:
Derek :icon_study:
 
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

They are all cool finds. :thumbsup:
Mike
 
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

That's fob-ulish. :tard:
Joe
 
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Derek752 said:
NJ - Beautiful Political find from way back !! :thumbsup:

I'd be right in the posionous ivy , its never really bothered me , but may I suggest some 'Roundup' ;D
Congrats :occasion14:
Derek :icon_study:

The owner actually wants the poison ivy there and he lets it grow out of control. His property has a school right behind it and without the poison ivy the kids jump the fence to cut through his property and he is worried one may get hurt.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

NJ

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
 
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Love the campain watch fob.
Someone in Buckle Boy's Brigade found a similarly historic find recently.
Great job
Chris

I must have missed this one...If anyone remembers what the post was titled let me know....Thanks.

NJ
 
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Great fob.........
 
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Nice fob & coins!!
 
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Great find! I dug one very similar awhile back. Mine said William J. Bryant for President 1908, he lost to Taft that year.
 
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Nice fob,I found one awile back.Mine has an add for shoes on the back. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • MVC-018F.webp
    MVC-018F.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 649
  • MVC-019F.webp
    MVC-019F.webp
    21 KB · Views: 655
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Heres a fob from the losing party Alton B. Parker found at Sault Ste. Marie Miichigan
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0265.webp
    DSCF0265.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 571
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Very cool fob posted. Congrats.
Burdie
 
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Here's a democratic one for the same year.Nice find NJ.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2766.webp
    DSCN2766.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 583
  • DSCN2766.webp
    DSCN2766.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 569
Re: 100+ Year Old Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Fantastic fob, I dug the Parker/Davis fob, but not in the shape that your fob is in. WTG!
 
Re: 100+ Year Presidential Campaign Watch Fob

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
N.J.THer said:
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Love the campain watch fob.
Someone in Buckle Boy's Brigade found a similarly historic find recently.
Great job
Chris

I must have missed this one...If anyone remembers what the post was titled let me know....Thanks.

NJ
Here it is.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,180205.msg1315586.html#msg1315586

Thanks again Chris...That is really cool. I love the fob I found but I would trade it in a second for a button like that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom