101 pennies

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 6

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling. I was hunting a lot that had a house on it back in the 1870's. I hunted it for about 2 hours on a Friday night. Went back the next day and got in 8 hours. On Sunday when I returned, I discovered that the guy next door to the lot had tossed over 500 pennies and a couple of dimes all over 1/3 of the lot. Really slowed the hunt down. I found all of his change and was going to knock on his door and thank him for the practice, but decided to take the high road. When I back tracked to police all the surface coins, I ended up pulling an IHP from under a pine tree, in an area I had already hunted. My cup stays half full and I am glad the pennies were tossed. Ended up pulling a keeper and picked up battery money. This site produced a 22 token cache, my 1st silver quarter, a few silver dimes, about a dozen wheats, a 1931 LC, about $8 in clad, and other cool items.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling. I was hunting a lot that had a house on it back in the 1870's. I hunted it for about 2 hours on a Friday night. Went back the next day and got in 8 hours. On Sunday when I returned, I discovered that the guy next door to the lot had tossed over 500 pennies and a couple of dimes all over 1/3 of the lot. Really slowed the hunt down. I found all of his change and was going to knock on his door and thank him for the practice, but decided to take the high road. When I back tracked to police all the surface coins, I ended up pulling an IHP from under a pine tree, in an area I had already hunted. My cup stays half full and I am glad the pennies were tossed. Ended up pulling a keeper and picked up battery money. This site produced a 22 token cache, my 1st silver quarter, a few silver dimes, about a dozen wheats, a 1931 LC, about $8 in clad, and other cool items.

Same thing with me today. Was hunting low tide and I guess people just toss handfuls of low denomination change into the ocean. The detector was useless in some places because of all the pennies. Didn't have my big sand sieve so I couldn't collect them all. Ended up just grabbing some dimes and a quarter then leaving the area. Walked to another part of the beach where there was less interference and found a silver trinket. Was so hot out that I called it a day after that.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's messed up..................This is why I stay away from people as much as possible!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig pennies. I get jewelry. But some dufus "planting" your site is just wrong. But taking the high road, like Loco-Digger suggested, is what separates us from the animals. Sub 8-)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surface cents on land aren't that bad--tell them to plant quarters next time :laughing7:. If they really wanted to mess with you they could have scattered a pound box of very small copper washers all over the place. :BangHead:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walked for 3 hours tonight and found one single 1985 penny, and a pocket of junk. Not even good junk. Most of the junk I dug were "iffy" signals, as the only decent hit was the stupid penny. I don't like digging modern pennies, but it was pretty depressing for me tonight haha.

A couple of years ago, I was detecting a yard, and a guy that I know thought it was funny to throw a handful of pennies in the yard when my back was turned. Suddenly all these damn pennies, what?! Then I saw him snickering. We had a laugh, he meant no harm. However, if it was on a good site that I had been working for a few years, I would have been less than impressed. People have no idea how hard we work to clear debris, learn the lay of the land, and focus on our craft.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you want to be a silver-lining type a person, free money! I certainly gets annoying. I hit the beach that I spent a month and half cleaning and came out of there yesterday with about 75 cents worth of zincolns. Battery money, ya know?

I actually had to leave the beach because there was so much surface litter. We've only had a couple of weeks of beach season. People are gross. I pick up what I can.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you guys hunting "my" spot? Sure does sound like it... I dig hundreds of those Lincolns! Once in great while they turn out to be something else, but not very often. I have a hard time taking my own advice... enjoy the hunt, not the finds. GL&HH!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the zincs on the salt water beaches corrode then read as junk.
I called some guy a cheapskate and told him to throw hundred dollar bills instead! He left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread