What's new

11-10-2013 Creek Finds

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice weekend for creek hunting even though there are tons of leaves to move outta the way. I scratched around some old places and found one shard and a broken point maybe a Yadkin... WP_20131111_004.webpWP_20131111_005.webpWP_20131111_003.webp

In this pic I have a blank, center bottom row, any idea on the type of stone? Also, 1st row far right is that a geofact, it's flat on the other side. WP_20131111_009.webp

Input on this last pic is appreciated :icon_scratch: WP_20131111_007.webp

Wishing we would get a good hard washing rain so the leaves will go further downstream and the creek needs a good washing, at least that's what I would like lol Wishing to find another nice rhyolite Guilford...I know they're out there!
 
Upvote 0
Nice. I like seeing finds from a hunt. Looks like some pottery in there.
 
Nice Peaches, I think the one under the quarter might be pottery, you have a good eye and a nice assortment. A guilford certainly awaits, you are in a great area.
I would trade your leaves, for what I had this morning, 15 degrees and a couple inches of snow...
Nice finds and congrats
 
Last pic bottom right and bottom pieces are cool. The others don't look worked. the bottom one may not be worked, either, but that's sweet material there! In the "blank pic", first row down, the last piece is nothing, LOL. The top piece may be a midsection but may be nothing, LOL. The bottom piece is a broken based type point, IMHOP. (likely same type as knife other pic, whitish, also baseless) The pieces above and below the quarter are shapes and the bottom one looks like granite or gneiss or some non knapped material. The far right row down the top piece doesn't look like anything at all but the bottom two look like tip and knife with base broke off, are goodies. Nice hunt, I don't get that much material, broken or not, in a year sometimes! Of course I don't get to fondle and actually see these items so I don't know squat.
 
Nice Peaches, I think the one under the quarter might be pottery, you have a good eye and a nice assortment. A guilford certainly awaits, you are in a great area.
I would trade your leaves, for what I had this morning, 15 degrees and a couple inches of snow...
Nice finds and congrats

bci101tractors, the shard makes the 70th piece of pottery in my collection and I'm loving it...I'm definitely living in a campsite area and probably multiple time frames too of the Catawba Nation and their ancestors. ewwwwwwwww 15 degrees and snow is not my cup of tea at all! lol But we are in for that type of weather very soon I think and it makes me want to head south to my home state of Georgia ;-)
 
Last pic bottom right and bottom pieces are cool. The others don't look worked. the bottom one may not be worked, either, but that's sweet material there! In the "blank pic", first row down, the last piece is nothing, LOL. The top piece may be a midsection but may be nothing, LOL. The bottom piece is a broken based type point, IMHOP. (likely same type as knife other pic, whitish, also baseless) The pieces above and below the quarter are shapes and the bottom one looks like granite or gneiss or some non knapped material. The far right row down the top piece doesn't look like anything at all but the bottom two look like tip and knife with base broke off, are goodies. Nice hunt, I don't get that much material, broken or not, in a year sometimes! Of course I don't get to fondle and actually see these items so I don't know squat.

Thank you tomclark for your input and I really appreciate it! I know it's hard to tell some things by pictures especially when they are broken, mostly I just toss them in a bowl to look at better later on and just go by a "gut" feeling that they might just be something I don't know about yet lol but I think you pretty much called it on most of it. There is so much of the granite/gness stuff and alot of it is in shapes that are probably most likely natural, thinking I might save some of what I find and don't post for a little water fountain since they look so nice when they are wet lol Oh and that one quartz item looks to me like a large broken morrow mountain type but not sure. There is a dig going on across town but they are focused on the contact time period and my stuff is coming out in the creek that is 8,9 and 10' deep and the water is shallow in most places, so I have nobody to help me put time frames on what I find. Again, thank you!
 
bci101tractors, the shard makes the 70th piece of pottery in my collection and I'm loving it...I'm definitely living in a campsite area and probably multiple time frames too of the Catawba Nation and their ancestors. ewwwwwwwww 15 degrees and snow is not my cup of tea at all! lol But we are in for that type of weather very soon I think and it makes me want to head south to my home state of Georgia ;-)
Ya, congrats on the pottery, I always love to see that.
I always look at the "background" from some of the FL (I think GB does it to rub it in a bit..JK, GB), AZ, TX or CA posts here and I always wonder why I do I live here...lol. But, I really do look forward to the slower paced life that winter brings and I can work out in the shop without feeling guilty that I should be doing something financially productive...
You have some real nice finds, congrats. I agree you are are in a campsite with great thing to come.
 
Pic #4 bottom right looks like a knife I dont know how it looks on the other side though. Same pic far left middle row looks like a broken point and of course the pottery. We need a good rain also, HH rock
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom