111 Year Old Ship Found In Western Australia Marine Park

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
The Glenbank capsized and sunk during a cyclone while transporting copper ore to Great Britain. One crewman survived after swimming to a nearby island. Looks like the cause of the sinking was the same thing that causes a lot of truck/trailer wrecks: Improperly secured load. Tsk, tsk, tsk...you'd think they would have that part down after millenniums of sea travel. Nice pics in the slide show if you follow the link:

Finnish ship Glenbank which disappeared in 1911 discovered off Australian coast

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the 22yo survivor holding the life ring🤔

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if there was a consignment more valuable than copper aboard when it sank that we just don't know about.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Is that the 22yo survivor holding the life ring
Wouldn't that be ironic? If he is the survivor, I'd say it would be a real "Call me Ishmael" moment.
I wonder if there was a consignment more valuable than copper aboard when it sank that we just don't know about.
Interesting comment. Are you suggesting something surreptitious was going on? It should be fairly easy to figure out what cargo they could have potentially been carrying. What materials in pre-WWI Australia would have been available for shipping that would have necessitated such secrecy? If it were precious metals like gold or silver I would think that it would be carried by a British or Australian ship, not a Finnish ship.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread