Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone hope is well in treasure land. Had a family member pass this holiday season so I've been very involved in the proceedings and had to get away and take a long walk to clear me head. My sojourn took me to the Potomac River where I started poking around the logjams and found a bag snagged within one of the stick piles that contained something shiny. I used my trusty three prong hiking tool and retrieved it. It was a plastic bag filled with flatware, so I pawed through it hoping there was some sterling within the hoard and was not disappointed. Obviously, the person did not know what they had because it was in a pile of other trash (homeless stuff) and had a neglected look to it. Thinking I may not scrap these, they are kind of nice. If anyone knows anything about the hallmarks please post below. Can't believe a found a hundred dollars worth of silver on a hike. Have a fantastic day, month, and year!

Attachments

• tag.JPG
    tag.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2005.JPG
    IMG_2005.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2020.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2029.JPG
    IMG_2029.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2024 (2).JPG
    IMG_2024 (2).JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2025 (2).JPG
    IMG_2025 (2).JPG
    438 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2026 (2).JPG
    IMG_2026 (2).JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 40
OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice score!
Sorry about your loss, but glad to see you taking time to get out, that's good therapy.
thanks I absolutely agree almost didn't leave house today glad I did (my mom got me into T'Hing as a kid so pretty appropriate to honor her)

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saddened for the loss of your loved one. I just went through it myself. They will always be with us in our hearts & minds, and we will see them everyday. There is no magic pill that can make things better or turn back the clock.
Regarding your excellent find, I think the ladle with the "M" flanked by 2 birds is an antique made by the Manchester Company. In the link below, see the back of the one pictured. God bless you & your loved one.
LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124844852592

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone hope is well in treasure land. Had a family member pass this holiday season so I've been very involved in the proceedings and had to get away and take a long walk to clear me head. My sojourn took me to the Potomac River where I started poking around the logjams and found a bag snagged within one of the stick piles that contained something shiny. I used my trusty three prong hiking tool and retrieved it. It was a plastic bag filled with flatware, so I pawed through it hoping there was some sterling within the hoard and was not disappointed. Obviously, the person did not know what they had because it was in a pile of other trash (homeless stuff) and had a neglected look to it. Thinking I may not scrap these, they are kind of nice. If anyone knows anything about the hallmarks please post below. Can't believe a found a hundred dollars worth of silver on a hike. Have a fantastic day, month, and year!
Nice finds. Sorry for your loss. And I'm glad you had time to clear your head. We all need that at times.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences for your loss.

Good pieces of silver.

This one is from the Alvin Manufacturing Company at the time they were based in Sag Harbor, NY. It’s their ‘Raleigh’ pattern, designed by Frederick Habensack in 1900:
Alvin.jpg

This one is from Towle Silversmiths/Towle Manufacturing Company of Newburyport, MA. It’s their ‘Canterbury’ pattern, first produced in 1893:
Towle.jpg

The stamped mark ‘H Mahler’s Sons’ is for the retailer who sold the item. A Prussian immigrant called [Gerhard] Henry Mahler established a silversmith business in the 1850s in Raleigh, NC and then expanded it to a jewellery store. His sons Louis [Ludwig] and Frederick were active in the business and changed the name to ‘H. Mahler's Sons’ in 1895 following their father’s death.

This one is (as said above) from one of the Manchester silver companies established as 'W.H. Manchester & Company' in 1887 in Providence, RI although it’s not the pattern shown in the ebay link:
Manchester.jpg

They changed name to 'Manchester Silver Company' in 1898; then to 'Manchester Manufacturing Company' in 1904; and then to 'Baker-Manchester Silver Company' in 1914 (but using a different mark). I couldn’t find a match in the pattern books but the mark is not later than 1914 and likely contemporary with the other pieces (very late 1800s/early 1900s). There are a number of their patterns from around this time which have escaped documentation.

Definitely worth more than scrap if you can find a buyer.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score!!!! Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Saddened for the loss of your loved one. I just went through it myself. They will always be with us in our hearts & minds, and we will see them everyday. There is no magic pill that can make things better or turn back the clock.
Regarding your excellent find, I think the ladle with the "M" flanked by 2 birds is an antique made by the Manchester Company. In the link below, see the back of the one pictured. God bless you & your loved one.
LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124844852592
Thank you for the kind words I really appreciate you Jose and reciprocate the sentiment, got to keep keepin on its what they would want us to do. That smallest ladle you ID'd (TY for that too) is the one I'm going to keep. I'm thinking I'm going to scrap the other two hate destroying beauty but gas is expensive and I feel a need to head to the coast for some storm surge beach gold. God bless you too man be at peace brother.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah they're worth more than scrap I would think. Hopefully your sorrow will heal over time.
thanks Tam definitely keeping the Manchester small ladle maybe melt the other two but more I look at them I almost can't bear to do it, they are elegant!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My condolences for your loss.

Good pieces of silver.

This one is from the Alvin Manufacturing Company at the time they were based in Sag Harbor, NY. It’s their ‘Raleigh’ pattern, designed by Frederick Habensack in 1900:
View attachment 2065105

This one is from Towle Silversmiths/Towle Manufacturing Company of Newburyport, MA. It’s their ‘Canterbury’ pattern, first produced in 1893:
View attachment 2065106

The stamped mark ‘H Mahler’s Sons’ is for the retailer who sold the item. A Prussian immigrant called [Gerhard] Henry Mahler established a silversmith business in the 1850s in Raleigh, NC and then expanded it to a jewellery store. His sons Louis [Ludwig] and Frederick were active in the business and changed the name to ‘H. Mahler's Sons’ in 1895 following their father’s death.

This one is (as said above) from one of the Manchester silver companies established as 'W.H. Manchester & Company' in 1887 in Providence, RI although it’s not the pattern shown in the ebay link:
View attachment 2065107

They changed name to 'Manchester Silver Company' in 1898; then to 'Manchester Manufacturing Company' in 1904; and then to 'Baker-Manchester Silver Company' in 1914 (but using a different mark). I couldn’t find a match in the pattern books but the mark is not later than 1914 and likely contemporary with the other pieces (very late 1800s/early 1900s). There are a number of their patterns from around this time which have escaped documentation.

Definitely worth more than scrap if you can find a buyer.
Thank you very much, I believe you and Tam have convinced me to keep all of them. I'm more of a treasure hunter than a collector but hate to destroy things of antiquity and/or aesthetic quality of this magnitude so ignore earlier posts in regard to scrapping them.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Sorry for your loss. And I'm glad you had time to clear your head. We all need that at times.
thanks Johnny, being miserable in a dark room helps nobody and finding things scratches an itch so appreciate you man

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Tam definitely keeping the Manchester small ladle maybe melt the other two but more I look at them I almost can't bear to do it, they are elegant!
They are beautiful antiques, plus they're coupled to a bullion standard as they are with a premium added for being unique.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My condolences in your loss Scounge Wonderer
You did good in the wondering and finding that silver.

I have a few tributes from the head/mind clearing hunts.
It's the best place to be-doing what we all did together.

Note: They're in really fine shape and one can get a lot better value at an antique shop.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the photo tour of the Potomac. I've only seen the part of it near Washington, and didn't realize it has a wild part too. Just never thought, I guess. Looks like a great place to search and to see wildlife. Really nice sterling spoons you found!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread