Ashland, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

Attachments

• flag2.jpg
    flag2.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 1,024
Upvote 2
Sure looks like it could be an ACW period patriotic pin. Crouch's book has one similar, but not an exact match.
Very cool pin!

creskol said:
Sure looks like it could be an ACW period patriotic pin. Crouch's book has one similar, but not an exact match.
Very cool pin!
Im sorry what is ACW? Thank you for the help! Much regards!

dirt listener said:
creskol said:
Very cool pin!

American Civil War

creskol said:
dirt listener said:
creskol said:
Very cool pin!

American Civil War
Cool, so is it a hat pin or uniform? It's pretty heavy. Thanks again!!!!

can we see the back please? Thanks!
My guess is that it was worn on the uniform, but civilian in nature. Maybe a sutler purchase.

Great piece! Definitely civil war period but help us out with the measurements. The piece rings a bell in my memory... Size would help narrow down the use.

fibberjibber said:
Great piece! Definitely civil war period but help us out with the measurements. The piece rings a bell in my memory... Size would help narrow down the use.

here it is beside a Qtr....

Attachments

• Flag4.jpg
    Flag4.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 599
The best I can tell, it looks like a civil war era patriotic badge. Not sure if it was meant to be pierced onto a jacket or leather accouterments, but if it is a badge it certainly could have been used on either. Probably not on a shirt, hat, or ladies dress because of the weight. The tell-tale sign would be to check if there are remnants of prongs protruding from the lead-filled back. An example of a civil war era badge with a lead-filled back is here:

While yours may not have 4 prongs, it may have 2 or 3. If it is a badge, VERY VERY cool find! I have not seen a lot of patriotic pins and badges from that era!

Attachments

• DSCN0037.JPG
    DSCN0037.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 453
fibberjibber said:
The best I can tell, it looks like a civil war era patriotic badge. Not sure if it was meant to be pierced onto a jacket or leather accouterments, but if it is a badge it certainly could have been used on either. Probably not on a shirt, hat, or ladies dress because of the weight. The tell-tale sign would be to check if there are remnants of prongs protruding from the lead-filled back. An example of a civil war era badge with a lead-filled back is here:

While yours may not have 4 prongs, it may have 2 or 3. If it is a badge, VERY VERY cool find! I have not seen a lot of patriotic pins and badges from that era!
Thanks for the update and research! Here is a better back shot. I can't see if there was any attachments.

Attachments

• Union flag2.JPG
    Union flag2.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 421
Nice pickup from Northern Virginia, congrats :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back