130 3ringers/Minnies in same hole and more theorem !

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
130 3ringers/Minnies in same hole and more still there !!!!!

Took a break from relic hunting for awhile, but got back into it last month. My detecting buddy and I have found over 200 minis so far as well as buttons, J Hooks, Bayonet handle and other camp items.

Today we found 130 minis in the same hole. There is still a lot left. We had to leave , but plenty of signals still there.

My question for some of you experts is " Why would there be that many bullets in a 4 x 4 area hole? Is there a box plate maybe in there? Thru research we know it is a Union defensive camp area.

Any help please ?

I also found a cool pipe with a lady on it!

Below are some pics of todays hunt. Can't wait to get back.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    605.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0872.JPG
    IMG_0872.JPG
    663 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    484.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a nice place and very good possibility there was a cartridge box dropped where all those in the same hole, so check carefully for a box plate/breast plate combo.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With due respect, that's way too many bullets for a cartridge pouch (which would lead you to believe there's a box plate or breast plate within). Most held 24 charged rounds. You have almost certainly found an entire wooden BOX of bullets (crate) which may have originally held as many as 500 (or 200, 300 etc.). Sometimes they fell off a wagon, or the bottom fell out, or it just got dropped and broke open. They may have scooped up a few, but after a violent box-burst, it's likely the paper cartridges were tearing or torn. They just left them there. Your bullets show plenty of evidence of "powder-rot" - just meaning they have been in the hole with lots of black powder for many years. Sounds like you guys have an EXCELLENT spot with TONS of potential. NN was a HOT area. I'm envious. That pipe bowl is super cool too!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BTW - You def have a cartridge box finial (Lower right, 1st photo) -was that in the hole with the bullets?! And nice epaulette keeper (Middle right) . . .

HD Paulie

Sep 20, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Etrac
Fisher CZ-6
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and your hard work has paid off!! Well done my friend!! :icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the positive feedback you have gotten on this site's potential, I'm surprised that you haven't pitched a tent.
Nice score.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
likely a box of ammo got wet -- the paper wrapped "cartridges" (combined powder charge and bullet wrapped into a paper cartridge ) which if dampened by wetness / bad weather ....were useless since they would not fire-- so often the union soldiers would bury the bum cartridges by dumping the ammo out of the box into a hole (sometimes they kept the box)--other times they just buried the whole box----the north had no shortage of ammo --so rather then "unroll" all the cartridges to "save" the bullets like the south would have --the union men just buried them---over time the paper and powder rotted away

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With due respect, that's way too many bullets for a cartridge pouch (which would lead you to believe there's a box plate or breast plate within). Most held 24 charged rounds. You have almost certainly found an entire wooden BOX of bullets (crate) which may have originally held as many as 500 (or 200, 300 etc.). Sometimes they fell off a wagon, or the bottom fell out, or it just got dropped and broke open. They may have scooped up a few, but after a violent box-burst, it's likely the paper cartridges were tearing or torn. They just left them there. Your bullets show plenty of evidence of "powder-rot" - just meaning they have been in the hole with lots of black powder for many years. Sounds like you guys have an EXCELLENT spot with TONS of potential. NN was a HOT area. I'm envious. That pipe bowl is super cool too!

Your likely correct.
I was gonna say the cartridges likely got wet & were Discarded
Also Envious of that Site. lol.

OP
OP
Whippetdog

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Your likely correct.
I was gonna say the cartridges likely got wet & were Discarded
Also Envious of that Site. lol.
Thanks guys for the info. Would love to camp out but this thing I got called a job gets in my way of relic hunting. Little League games too! Will be back at it this weekend. Will let you know what else comes out. My buddy and I can't wait to get back. He actually got the first signal, he needed help digging all those bullets so of course I had to help. Lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Problem & GL In the Future. Little League & Work is NOW, RHing can wait.
'No Family & No place to live makes for a Very Sad Relic Hunter.'

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs, always wanted to find a cache of bullets. I am guessing they got wet and were discarded. Good luck with the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread