14 double eagles,cost $280.00

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
St.George, Utah.... Yesterday a woman tried to pay her Walmart shopping bill with 14 twenty dollar gold coins,the teller would not take them. She then ran to the bank and traded them to a teller for $280.00. After trying to keep them the teller sold them back to the Bank. The coins dated between 1875 and 1927 and are worth thousands of dollars. The bank and KSL TV are trying to find the woman and tell her that coins are worth a small fortune. Who needs a detector? happy hunting, kane 23

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This either shows the stupidity of some people or just the desire need for money these days. Both incredibly sad.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this, and the video in treasures in the news forum. Check it out.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is absolutely mind numbing ! That there are so many people out there in the urban wasteland who

dont know when they are holding precious metal in their hands- I just pray to God that this poor woman

gets her fortune back . Argentium.

plumloko

Feb 11, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT
I was reading that article as well Kane.
I think they said she was in her 20s.
Makes you wonder if she got into grandpas stash.
All she seen was "twenty dollars".

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I would not necesarily call it stupidity. My Grandmother would sell something and think she got a good deal, when in todays world it would be worth much more. She just kept everything and went by it's original value when bought. She would baby sit for a few hours and get $20 and think she really made out. She was so old school, while she watched the kids, she would clean, iron and wash clothes. She didn't drive or get out much and never quite realized how things have changed. I am not sure if it's to bad or it was a goood thing, where the money thing did not effect her as it does us. Anyway, I rambled enough, later. :coffee2:

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
Well sad thing could be the bank might send it for melt they might not keep it. I guess now days old coins go back to the reserves and melt.

*Sigh*

LT

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
kane23 said:
St.George, Utah.... Yesterday a woman tried to pay her Walmart shopping bill with 14 twenty dollar gold coins,the teller would not take them. She then ran to the bank and traded them to a teller for $280.00. After trying to keep them the teller sold them back to the Bank. The coins dated between 1875 and 1927 and are worth thousands of dollars. The bank and KSL TV are trying to find the woman and tell her that coins are worth a small fortune. Who needs a detector? happy hunting, kane 23

They were probably stolen!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Could be either way...stolen or just didn't know what she had. Unfortunately we will probably never know the whole (real) story. I will admit though I would have bought them out of my cash drawer whether it was at wal-mart or a bank and made sure the drawer balanced. To me that is just common sense, and nobody elses business. My drawer balanced so whats the problem? People are just not too smart some times.

HH Charlie

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
davest said:
savant365, try telling that to a walmart manager..............................................hjahahahhahahhahahaha.

If I worked at wal-mart and bought 14 double eagles out of my drawer and they fired me for it later...I would still have 14 double eagles and grounds for a lawsuit ;D

OP
OP
kane23

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart would'nt take the coins,so she took them to a bank teller. His manager found out and he was fired after he sold them back for $280.00. Watch the video in the other post and watch the bank manager scratch and leave fingerprints on the coins.
Recently COIN WORLD reported that a woman recieved an 1856 Two and a half dollar gold coin when she opened a roll of dimes,she did'nt even know what it was until someone told her. A friend who searches bank rolls recently found 120 silver halves dating back to 1927 in rolls he bought from the bank. We live in crazy times...Kane 23

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
read on the coin roll hunting thread that the teller who bought the coins got fired too. i mean really, NOBODY except maybe a crackhead or a thief would be stupid enough to cash in gold coins at face. if the teller was going to try and make out like a bandit and let greed overcome his or her common sense looks like he or she would have had enough smarts to keep quiet about the buy. it reminds me of a similar situation i was told about long ago. a coin collectors kid raided the collection for spending money and went on a little shopping spree---when the surprised parent figured out what had happened (couple of days later) he went to the store and talked with the cashier and manager about it. the cashier said that he did not remember the kid or the coins and the manager referred the collector to his bank. bank employees and manager denied any knowledge too. long story short the coins were never found and no one could prove anything. guess it would be wise to keep our collections under lock and key and also to hide the key

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread