ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there,

Just purchased a chain because it had a hallmark I had not come across. I suspect it's probably plated, but took the chance for a couple of bucks. This is a bright silver colored chain that is stamped "14KB". I have read that there was a line of jewelry form Home Shopping Network that was 14 karat bonded, but all the examples I see are gold colored. Anybody know the metal content of jewelry like this? I am hopeful it might be platinum plated 14k gold, though I am certain someone on hear can quash my dreams..I've shown it next to a gold ring for color perspective. Weighs about 13 grams.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,048

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The color of your piece looks yellow/gold to me in the pic, not silver. But that could be just the way its showing on my monitor.

As I recall the 14KB hallmark is a 14K gold (14K white gold in this case) plated metal piece. The base metal would be something such as, but not limited to, steel or copper, but certainly not of a metal of significant value.

I personally believe the KB designation was contrived to be deceptive; a play off KP which is Karat Pure (real gold etc).

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14KB, gold bond is a higher quality electroplate process that is supposed to have a lifetime warranty.
Broken Knee

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bonded is just a differant way of saying plated basically 8 the gold bonding might have worn off leaving the underlying metal exposed --sometime folks plate silver with gold

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread