✅ SOLVED 14k Military Ring?

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife inherited this ring from a lady she took care of. It’s has Eagle and bar with 3 stars repeating around the ring. It’s marked es Pat pend with 14k and initials W.L.
Does anyone know what markings mean and what this ring is?
Thanks CM
IMG_2873.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2876.jpeg
    IMG_2876.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2875.jpeg
    IMG_2875.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 19

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any way to track the makers of the ring ?

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice patriotic ring (not official military).

I believe the 'W.L.' is for Walter Lampl Inc. of New York City, founded in 1921. The company produced a number of patriotic rings during WWII including one that had “Remember Pearl Harbor” on it (patent applied for 29 days after the Japanese attack). Also ‘sweetheart’ jewellery charms, mostly worn by women whose loved ones were serving abroad.

Here’s a ring with a very similar design to yours, but in Sterling silver, which carries Lampl’s July 1943 design patent number (applied for in 1942):

Lampl.jpg

Lampl died after suffering a heart attack at the company’s employee Xmas party in 1945 but the business continued with his wife Sylvia at the helm until Walter Lampl Jr. returned from military service a few months later to take over. It remained a family-owned business until closure in 1959.

Lampl’s original mark was ‘WL’ in fancy script lettering, but I don’t know when the plain letter ‘W.L.’ mark might have first been used. It might be post-war and relate to Walter Junior.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice patriotic ring (not official military).

I believe the 'W.L.' is for Walter Lampl Inc. of New York City, founded in 1921. The company produced a number of patriotic rings during WWII including one that had “Remember Pearl Harbor” on it (patent applied for 29 days after the Japanese attack). Also ‘sweetheart’ jewellery charms, mostly worn by women whose loved ones were serving abroad.

Here’s a ring with a very similar design to yours, but in Sterling silver, which carries Lampl’s July 1943 design patent number (applied for in 1942):

View attachment 2085164

Lampl died after suffering a heart attack at the company’s employee Xmas party in 1945 but the business continued with his wife Sylvia at the helm until Walter Lampl Jr. returned from military service a few months later to take over. It remained a family-owned business until closure in 1959.

Lampl’s original mark was ‘WL’ in fancy script lettering, but I don’t know when the plain letter ‘W.L.’ mark might have first been used. It might be post-war and relate to Walter Junior.
Found Patent date on site jewelrypatents.com! Thanks redcoat!
IMG_2877.png

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread