$15 for a 1964 JFK half dollar!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went into store that sell watches, some jewelry and a two trays of coins. One of the tray is silver coins, dimes, dollars, half dollars and a few other types like candians etc.. I picked out a dirty half 64, asked how much for this. The dealer or shop keeper said 15. I was in shock and said this is not even an once. His reply that's not scrap... I walked out of there thinking this guy is crazy... Now here is the fun part, I'm goin to bring in a walking liberty tomorrow and see what he pays.... lol what is the most crazy price you guys heard from dealers or offers....

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Was this a pawn shop? Sounds like it was. That's how much the ones around here try and charge.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He'll probably pay you $2 for your walkers... because he seems like a penny pincher.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$15 is Redbook for MS-63, what was the condition? if it is vf or ef offer him $8, go $10 if it's AU

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The place is more of a watch repair shop. There is a buy gold and silver sign, but from the way the shop looks the guy is more into watches and stuff. The coins are few, a tray about 12 inches by 7-8. He has another container with some buffalo nickels and Indian head cents. The half dollar I picked out is worth no more than melt. It was badly tarnished, dark brown color. Let's just say any 64 you find from a box or roll was in better condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a picture I took off eBay. This is close resemblance, but the one I picked was more tarnished and darker. There was no way I would pay 15 or 10 for a coin like that. With silver prices around 15.90$ an toz.
image.jpg

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience Antique shops and the like always have prices like these. I guess someone pays the prices.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes me wonder how much he bought them coins for...

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
I went into a pawn shop several months ago and they had some 1964 halves for almost $60 dollars each i think. I remember the silver quarters were 39.99 each. They had a couple morgans for over $100 each. Went back in a week later with some 64's, franklins and walkers, the lady offered two dollars each and said that's what the refineries would give them lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread