What's new

15 Pound Stamp Mill Hammer?

Ed144

Full Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2015
Messages
214
Reaction score
564
Golden Thread
0
Location
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, XP Deus 2, XP Xtrem
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 15 pound hammer head some time ago at a remote private property location in El Dorado county, Ca. It seems too heavy to be a sledge hammer and has a small diameter handle hole. Would this hammer be from some sort of ore stamp mill? Thanks for any comments. Ed.
 

Attachments

  • P1170829.webp
    P1170829.webp
    378 KB · Views: 145
  • P1170831.webp
    P1170831.webp
    343.5 KB · Views: 127
  • P1170832.webp
    P1170832.webp
    339.7 KB · Views: 128
I have a similar one on a handle, common sledge hammer head.
 
That's what mine looks like and I'll bet mines as heavy.
 
Gunsil is right! It's a common sledge hammer head.
 
Yup, sledge hammer. I have a 14 pounder.
 
Stamp mill hammers look nothing like that.
But yours looks exactly like a sledge hammer. :icon_thumright:
 
Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the comments. It must be a standard sledge hammer. Ed.
 
Look closely in the sides..even wire brush it. There may be a brand or blacksmith stamping on it that will allow you to date it to a specific business.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom