$150 find buying detector...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
$150 'find' buying detector...

I've been telling my father in law all about my detecting and he told me he secretly has wanted a detector for about 20 years, but never went through and bought one. He finally decided to go get one and went to Radio Shack because I told him to get the Discovery 1100 to start. He went and asked for it, but they brought him out the Discovery 3300 and it even said $299 on the box, but they only charged him $149 for the 1100. No, he didn't bring it up, he ran to the door. :-)

Upvote 0
Re: $150 'find' buying detector...

Far out. Found treasure the 1st time out and didn't even turn it on. Tell him looking forward to seeing his finds.

Good for him :)

Help him out those settings so he doesn't get discouraged right away!

Post some pics of his first finds :)

Nice to hear from ya again bergie!

Rod

happens to me all the time at walmart,buy a few boxs of shotgunshells and always but a high end box and a couple cheapos loads they all come in almost the same boxs so the clerk(kid)rings them up with one scan then x it and i pay 20 bucks for 50 dollars in shells!maybe todays gen aint so bad? ;D

Hey Burg-
Same thing just happened to me!
Went to Radio Shack to buy my
first detector. They stuck the
floor model 3300 in the 2200 box!?
Didn't realize it until I got home,
and found that the instructions
didn't match the model number
on the unit!? Still working on trying
to figure it out.? Why would pinpoint
mode make noise when the metal
detect mode isn't detecting anything?
~Moosebreath

Moose, the pinpoint mode is set for all metal at factory and if you're in discriminate you might not get the signal.

Hello and welcome to the forum Moosebreath! Thats right about the pinpoint. I have a higher end machine(Whites MXT) and you pull the trigger to pinpoint with it. Learn your machine. It takes a while but it's well worth it. Good Hunting.

You should be able to get the instruction manual online. Try typing in "discovery 3300 manual" or instructions or info. You might also want to call the company direct and ask if they can help you. Swiz

MOOSEBREATHE:
you can get a copy of the manual at radioshack.com

The electronics of the discriminate and all-metal/pinpoint modes work very differently. In discriminate, you MUST be moving the coil and breaking magnetic lines of force to get ANY tone. All-metal/pinpoint mode uses different circuitry that does not require movement of the coil to get an audible signal. It has nothing to do with the target, or where the knobs are adjusted. Discriminate mode requires movement to detect anything, all-metal does not.

You can find the instructions in .pdf format by clicking HERE.

--
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back