What's new

$1500 and some change UPDATE

SnakemanBill

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
411
Reaction score
233
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up two cases of halves Friday morning after dropping off my truck for repairs. Found three Walkers, 1935, 44 and 45. 16 kennedys including 3 1964s and a 1970! Good batch! I then took the clad to dump and hit a few banks in Annapolis where I picked up another $500 in handrolls which produced another 6 Kennedys including one 1964. finished up the day with $20 worth of nickels which produced 5 pre 1960 coins with a 1942 and 1943D. I have a question for the nickel folks out there. These were my first war era nickels. Do they appear different than regular nickels? Couldn't really tell a difference between them and others from early or late 40's?

Checked the mint marks on my first two war era nickels and I have a 1942S and a 1943P. Thanks for the info on mint marks Dave.
 
Upvote 0
Re: $1500 and some change

The color of the nickel as a whole should be noticeably different (though this is not the case with ones in GREAT shape).

The main difference is the mint mark. Flip the coin to its back and look above the moticello and you should see a LARGE mintmark. It is the largest mintmark on any US coin ever and shouldn't be missed.

The 1943 HAS to be a war nickel so you should definatley see the mint mark I am talking about, as for the 42, that was the transition year. So there are some 42's out there with no silver in them and with the old mintmark location of to the lower right base of the building on the back.

~Dave
 
Re: $1500 and some change

most of the war nickels that I pull look noticeably different. This isn't to say that they all look different from what you'd expect from a 65 year old coin pulled from circulation but most of them.

In general they're a little darker in color and have a slicker feel to them. I'm almost to the point where I can pick out a war nickel by seeing their edge (which helps when roll searching).

Also on a different note, there are some fake 44 nickels out there. The mintmark is in the wrong location. They're called Henning nickels. I'm trying to find a Great example for my collection.

More info on those here
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33217
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom