16 to 1

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome videos. I work in a large block and cave mine and often wonder what it would be like to work in smaller rail/ jackleg mine.

arthos

Jun 16, 2017
Suprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Gold Trap; Explorer. Garrett Gold Pans. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So cool. The video make it look like you guys are a really small crew. I want to see more!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling. Took these as I was working with the Campbird mine a few years back. Back when I was a miner I was working above 11'000 ft in the Colorado Rockies. When the temp fell below 50 degrees on a swing shift which got off at 11:00 pm, the shifter just said it's to dangerous to step outside so, ya just as well pull a double. That was in the 70's and there was always a little supply of some uppers, bennies or what ever you wanna call em in those days to keep ya going another 10 hours. Today these new generation of miners carry these little 5 dollar bottles of energy drink to swig down. Still at the shifts end a few cans of beer or a shot Hiram Walker was the next steep to put ya to sleep so you could get up and do it all again come 3:pm that day.

Didn't realize Camp Bird was operating that long or had it been re-opened when you worked there? I remember it as a jeep road(?) from Ouray back in the late 40's early 50's. The family friend we were visiting was a super at the Idarado on Red Mountain at the time and the Million Dollar Highway was unpaved. Beautiful country.[/QUOTE]

The reopening Camp Birds has been a work in progress for a while now. As of now they're leveling off and covering the old tailings and covering them with good dirt for planting trees and shrubs. Once the EPA is satisfied with what they want then maybe they can get back in and begin mining it again? I don't know why these replies are coming out ass backwards. I must have screwd something up

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread