1600s French Billon Coin, Pewter Britannia button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I woke up to see my buddy Oxbow had found his 3rd Mass silver. My hats off to you sir. That's a hell of an accomplishment. I checked the weather and realized it was a poor day to ask the guys to get on a roof. It was supposed to rain hard around mid morning. So this gave me a rare day off. I tried to think of a close by site that had finds early enough to possibly have a Mass silver hiding in the dirt. This was a direct affect of seeing a tree coin posted. So I went to a site that's given up a few 17th century buckles and pewter buttons. I put my new 12x15 sef coil on and hunted an area that I've hunted the hell out of. I got a mid 60s signal and pulled out some weird wafer thin broken black disc. Thought absolutely nothing of it. I continued the hunt and found a pewter button....then the rains came. So home I went. I emptied out my finds and decided to rinse the the little disc just in case. A bit of the black came off and it sure looked silver. So I lemon juiced it to try to soften up the black gunk. A bit more came off and wow I could see XIII. Then I could see pellets that looked like a Mass silver. The I saw LAN and though it was for sure a Mass silver. Then I saw a crown and then LVD. Now I have no clue what the hell it is. So I text a pic to Bill and Brad. Bill sees a fleur de lis and says French silver. I had to go get new brakes on my truck but when I got home I was able to clean it enough to see a bit of detail on the back. Finally about ten minutes ago with assist from Brad and Bill I stumbled on a 1693 French Billon coin. My pics aren't oriented correctly and I'm too damn tired to fix them. Unfortunately the date portion is broken off but I'm pretty sure this is my 3rd 17th century silver. The pewter button looks to have the Britannia reverse on it. Pretty good for a very short hunt. This sef coil seems to be pretty darn good
I cannot explain the LAN outside the beaded border. But I swear it's there. It's not easy to see in the pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 26
Great find Abe, and maybe your disappointed it wasn't what you thought, a Mass Silver, but at the same time it is a pretty rare find, and something different. I certainly like the different.
I'd be pretty happy with that find, even though not complete.
I have one billion coin, it's complete, but still only a 1700s coin, and there "should" be more of them here.

Great find Abe, and maybe your disappointed it wasn't what you thought, a Mass Silver, but at the same time it is a pretty rare find, and something different. I certainly like the different.
I'd be pretty happy with that find, even though not complete.
I have one billion coin, it's complete, but still only a 1700s coin, and there "should" be more of them here.

Hey buddy, I'm not disappointed now that I know more about these. Prob the only one I will ever find and I plan on finding 8 Mass silvers in great condition so I'm very happy with this unique silver find. Is 8 Mass silvers unrealistic? I'm only talking one willow tree and one NE mixed in there 8-)

You know I am always positive when I go out, 8 mass silvers is doable for you, where you are, don't get hung-up on your NE coin though, as it has a very low chance of happening.

Slightly funny story, was out for a minute or two last night, as the ground has softened here finally, had a good signal n the 90's, decided to do a vid (in case) was hoping so hard for a silver coin or a pocket watch, but popped a brass ring. Don't know what that has to do with anything, except as I said , I'm always positive, but never disappointed, such is life...eh ?

It is only early yet, and you have those amazing new sites so you will have a good year for sure.
Good Luck Out There.

This morning I woke up to see my buddy Oxbow had found his 3rd Mass silver. My hats off to you sir. That's a hell of an accomplishment. I checked the weather and realized it was a poor day to ask the guys to get on a roof. It was supposed to rain hard around mid morning. So this gave me a rare day off. I tried to think of a close by site that had finds early enough to possibly have a Mass silver hiding in the dirt. This was a direct affect of seeing a tree coin posted. So I went to a site that's given up a few 17th century buckles and pewter buttons. I put my new 12x15 sef coil on and hunted an area that I've hunted the hell out of. I got a mid 60s signal and pulled out some weird wafer thin broken black disc. Thought absolutely nothing of it. I continued the hunt and found a pewter button....then the rains came. So home I went. I emptied out my finds and decided to rinse the the little disc just in case. A bit of the black came off and it sure looked silver. So I lemon juiced it to try to soften up the black gunk. A bit more came off and wow I could see XIII. Then I could see pellets that looked like a Mass silver. The I saw LAN and though it was for sure a Mass silver. Then I saw a crown and then LVD. Now I have no clue what the hell it is. So I text a pic to Bill and Brad. Bill sees a fleur de lis and says French silver. I had to go get new brakes on my truck but when I got home I was able to clean it enough to see a bit of detail on the back. Finally about ten minutes ago with assist from Brad and Bill I stumbled on a 1693 French Billon coin. My pics aren't oriented correctly and I'm too damn tired to fix them. Unfortunately the date portion is broken off but I'm pretty sure this is my 3rd 17th century silver. The pewter button looks to have the Britannia reverse on it. Pretty good for a very short hunt. This sef coil seems to be pretty darn good
I cannot explain the LAN outside the beaded border. But I swear it's there. It's not easy to see in the pics
View attachment 1291640
View attachment 1291641
View attachment 1291642
View attachment 1291646
View attachment 1291648
View attachment 1291649
View attachment 1291650
View attachment 1291651
View attachment 1291652
View attachment 1291653

Nice finds buddy, did I ever show you a pic of my French colonial silver?

Nice finds buddy, did I ever show you a pic of my French colonial silver?

I'd love to see it again my good man. I vaguely remember a certain somebody being upset that you dug that lol

Nice finds

Found a billon coin last month in Louisiana, 10 Centimes (1807-1810), not as old as yours but old for down here

ca 004.JPGfrance_10_centimes_1808.jpg

Attachments

• clouterville 008.JPG
    clouterville 008.JPG
    945.7 KB · Views: 55
Abe, your post has given me a little more appreciation for the rougher 15 Deniers coins I've found. Having dug the nice one, and another pretty decent one, these three have just sat in with my junk silver for years... which now seems crazy because I have a display case dedicated to just French finds, and that's where they will go. I also have some of that newly found appreciation because I just don't find this type of stuff now... not that I don't want to, just very limited what's left.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 54
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 50
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 61
Congratulations buddy. Amazing finds, especially the silver. The stories that little guy could tell!

Thanks for all of the great comments and the show and the awesome additions of other dug billions. Really a cool coin with a great history. It's odd to dig two pieces that I was not at all excited about then have them turn into a couple of really cool keepers. Normally I've got a copper or a pewter button that I'm hoping is going to be my chain cent and Rev war button and of course I'm disappointed. So it's nice to be surprised after getting them home for a change. Also glad I could inspire our good buddy IP to dig out his old paper thin silver billon coins. Does this mean I'm like the wind beneath IPs wings?....yes I believe that's precisely what it means [emoji12]

What a killer coin Abe and thank goodness there are knowledgeable people on here because your slow ass wouldn't have figured that one out [emoji6]. That would have been a tough one to find if it were was masked. This is why I walk and swing at a snails pace and dig every blip.

You got that right brother! Why do you think I joined this forum? It was selfishly to befriend folks who are a lot smarter and more knowledgeable than I lol.
Btw....when my buddy Bill calls your sorry ass you pick up the damn phone!!!!!!! You got it mister

Thanks for all of the great comments and the show and the awesome additions of other dug billions. Really a cool coin with a great history. It's odd to dig two pieces that I was not at all excited about then have them turn into a couple of really cool keepers. Normally I've got a copper or a pewter button that I'm hoping is going to be my chain cent and Rev war button and of course I'm disappointed. So it's nice to be surprised after getting them home for a change. Also glad I could inspire our good buddy IP to dig out his old paper thin silver billon coins. Does this mean I'm like the wind beneath IPs wings?....yes I believe that's precisely what it means [emoji12]

More like under arm odor, but knock yourself out kid. :)

And BTW.. if you were to talk to anyone who hunts Early French sites, even the guys who have tons of hours and many finds, you'd see those 15 Deniers are not common... and most would be lucky to have a single coin. I'm very lucky to have found at least 5, but as I said in a previous post, the tap is pretty much turned off now.

And BTW.. if you were to talk to anyone who hunts Early French sites, even the guys who have tons of hours and many finds, you'd see those 15 Deniers are not common... and most would be lucky to have a single coin. I'm very lucky to have found at least 5, but as I said in a previous post, the tap is pretty much turned off now.

I was kind of surprised that the big SEF coil has sniffed out a few really thin or small things that I missed before. It may be site conditions but I for sure missed a deep copper on edge at the copper coin mill site. I actually found a toasty 1804 LC and a kg with it. I never posted them but I wish the 1804 was in good condition. That's a tough find for sure. No doubt I missed the kg. And I have hunted this site numerous times in disc and all metal. Also with the 5" coil. I had very low expectations for this big SEF but so far I'm pretty impressed. But I thought it would be terrible on the really small or thin targets. As you know this billon is about as thin as you could ever dig. Under arm odor huh? Well I guess that's sort of the wind beneath your wings lol

Last edited:
I was kind of surprised that the big SEF coil has sniffed out a few really thin or small things that I missed before. It may be site conditions but I for sure missed a deep copper on edge at the copper coin mill site. I actually found a toasty 1804 LC and a kg with it. I never posted them but I wish the 1804 was in good condition. That's a tough find for sure. No doubt I missed the kg. And I have hunted this site numerous times in disc and all metal. Also with the 5" coil. I had very low expectations for this big SEF but so far I'm pretty impressed. But I thought it would be terrible on the really small or thin targets. As you know this billon is about as thin as you could ever dig. Under arm odor huh? Well I guess that's sort of the wind beneath your wings lol

The SEF coils are good coils. I use a 10" x 12" and it's the closest thing I've tried to my Explorer old stock coil. It's definitely as sensitive as you need a coil, but also is good at disc'ing the iron.

The three coins I posted, the first is actually cleaning up pretty decent, and like yours, paper thin.

Late to the party Abe, but what an interesting thread. Never seen a coin quite like that one dug here in the states. Love those low signals on old dirt, either a small cob, early pewter...or foil :laughing7: Congrats bud, the next mass is around the corner.

Last edited:
Late to the party Abe, but what an interesting thread. Never seen a coin quite like that one dug here in the states. Love those low signals on old dirt, either a small cob, early pewter...or foil :laughing7: Congrats bud, the next mass is around the corner.

Those colonist loved the aluminum foil bud. The wrapped up the left over hot wings so they could throw em in the stainless steel fridge and microwave em for football on Sunday....on their 55" 4k tvs [emoji12]

Wow that's a beauty man. Prob the best part of finding this has been all of the education I've gotten on em. Pretty darn cool for sure

Thanks for the info IP, great reads. Abe what you said it very true. The best part of finding many old coins and relics is the education you get during the investigation. Once you've dug enough, you'll be like IP! Lol

Cheers fellas

Thanks for the info IP, great reads. Abe what you said it very true. The best part of finding many old coins and relics is the education you get during the investigation. Once you've dug enough, you'll be like IP! Lol

Cheers fellas

If digging more will make me like IP I will shut it down for good and sell my T2 for $8.... Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back