1600s French Billon Coin, Pewter Britannia button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I woke up to see my buddy Oxbow had found his 3rd Mass silver. My hats off to you sir. That's a hell of an accomplishment. I checked the weather and realized it was a poor day to ask the guys to get on a roof. It was supposed to rain hard around mid morning. So this gave me a rare day off. I tried to think of a close by site that had finds early enough to possibly have a Mass silver hiding in the dirt. This was a direct affect of seeing a tree coin posted. So I went to a site that's given up a few 17th century buckles and pewter buttons. I put my new 12x15 sef coil on and hunted an area that I've hunted the hell out of. I got a mid 60s signal and pulled out some weird wafer thin broken black disc. Thought absolutely nothing of it. I continued the hunt and found a pewter button....then the rains came. So home I went. I emptied out my finds and decided to rinse the the little disc just in case. A bit of the black came off and it sure looked silver. So I lemon juiced it to try to soften up the black gunk. A bit more came off and wow I could see XIII. Then I could see pellets that looked like a Mass silver. The I saw LAN and though it was for sure a Mass silver. Then I saw a crown and then LVD. Now I have no clue what the hell it is. So I text a pic to Bill and Brad. Bill sees a fleur de lis and says French silver. I had to go get new brakes on my truck but when I got home I was able to clean it enough to see a bit of detail on the back. Finally about ten minutes ago with assist from Brad and Bill I stumbled on a 1693 French Billon coin. My pics aren't oriented correctly and I'm too damn tired to fix them. Unfortunately the date portion is broken off but I'm pretty sure this is my 3rd 17th century silver. The pewter button looks to have the Britannia reverse on it. Pretty good for a very short hunt. This sef coil seems to be pretty darn good
I cannot explain the LAN outside the beaded border. But I swear it's there. It's not easy to see in the pics
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 26
Lol yep you ain't kidding brother. If you ever need a stunt double let me know. I'll do the same lol

Cleaned up well. Case worthy now.

Attachments

• zytyryryr.jpg
    zytyryryr.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 63
  • cd2.jpg
    cd2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 43
Some great finds abe!, you've been On fire lately!

Cleaned up well. Case worthy now.

That's a great result buddy. Glad you decided to pull it out and work on it. Funny how our perspectives can change on a find

Abe I know eyes can play tricks but is that a 1695 I see? Also after cleaning and close-ups I can really see what you were talking about when you said it was THIN!

That's a great result buddy. Glad you decided to pull it out and work on it. Funny how our perspectives can change on a find

For sure. It works out well because I recently decided I'd rather all my best French coins in with my best coins, and not my relic case. I still have some coins there, and now can add these three.... which I don't know why they were not there already. A worn and ugly 15 Deniers was still worth way more than a Liard... even if the Liard survived the ground better. So more perspective thinking about it that way too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back