1611 Spanish 8 Reale Cobb - Pieces of Eight questions

What would you be willing to pay for this item?

• $100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500

• $5000

• Nothing, It's fake

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

Bwilliken

Greenie
Feb 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

New to the forum, and Spanish 'Pieces of Eight', '8 Reales' or Cobs in general. But I happened to purchase this Coin recently and I am trying to find out more information about it.

What I know:

It was found in an underwater dive off the coast of Florida.
It appears to have been minted in 1611

What I would like to know:

What Mint was it created at? In Mexico or Spain? by Whom?
What relative condition is the cob in?
The amount of similar condition coins of this type in existence?
The potential Value of this coin at the proper venue/ with proper description?
Is this Coin from a Shipwreck? If so, a Shipwreck that has already been discovered or one that has not? How to tell?
Any specific historical significance to this coin?

Any help on this item would be greatly appreciated. Out of all the links and searches I have done, I am yet to find the exact match for this coin, or any information explaining precisely all the details of the coin.

Attachments

• Pieces of eight.1.JPG
    Pieces of eight.1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 363
  • Pieces of Eight.JPG
    Pieces of Eight.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 242

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I hope you paid no more than $2.

PS. Just noticed your new to the site, welcome & sorry for the bad news.

OP
OP
B

Bwilliken

Greenie
Feb 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it did test out at silver value. So I figure I at least have around $19 in silver weight. It weighs about 19.8 grams. So just to verify, there is ABSOLUTELY no chance this could be a legit coin from 1611? I can go ahead and melt it down for scrap? I will take a loss on this, but fortunately I bought some other items from the same gentlemen that I got a good deal on. So overall I won't be taken to the cleaners... Live and Learn, I am always a sucker for a 'story' and a chance at the 'homerun'. One day I will have my day in the Sun. :-) Thanks for the help fellas, really wanting to buy a metal detector after scouring these threads. Anyone know if the hill country in central texas has any luck with cool finds? I know where lots of acreage is I can freely traverse, that probably has never been significantly populated, but would I be wasting my time? I want to find Sam Bass' treasure buried in a cave lol....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if your coin is Real or not, but the item does look like Silver. There is a expert on Reale coins on the Cob Forum, best post it there. And get it tested for Silver, this way you might get some of your money back, if it's fake.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it did test out at silver value. So I figure I at least have around $19 in silver weight. It weighs about 19.8 grams. So just to verify, there is ABSOLUTELY no chance this could be a legit coin from 1611? I can go ahead and melt it down for scrap? I will take a loss on this, but fortunately I bought some other items from the same gentlemen that I got a good deal on. So overall I won't be taken to the cleaners... Live and Learn, I am always a sucker for a 'story' and a chance at the 'homerun'. One day I will have my day in the Sun. :-) Thanks for the help fellas, really wanting to buy a metal detector after scouring these threads. Anyone know if the hill country in central texas has any luck with cool finds? I know where lots of acreage is I can freely traverse, that probably has never been significantly populated, but would I be wasting my time? I want to find Sam Bass' treasure buried in a cave lol....

Well, slightly good news, only a few are actually silver, so that is a bonus.

These sort of coins do take some time to get used to. Try looking at a few on the cob forum, you will notice the details that make this look cast or ??(forgot the other term electro???) instead of stamped/hammered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread