What's new

1626-1769 Japanese Kuang Yong Tong Bao and other finds

Benjamin52

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2011
Messages
436
Reaction score
695
Golden Thread
0
Location
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey T-neters..

Went to detect an area that was believed to have seen some skirmishes between Japanese troops and local natives in Taiwan.

The overall finds were disappointing except for one coin that first appeared to be a Chinese cash coin but later turned out to possibly be something different:

P_20161210_004433.webp(did not clean it for obvious reasons)

P_20161210_003734.webpP_20161210_003646.webp

According to the guys over at China mint forum and this book it is a Japanese coin minted between 1626 and 1769 which was frequently circulated in China. (Lowest in the book pic)
index.php

(sorry for the picture format it wont let me download it so I had to paste via web URL)

Some internet research suggests that it might have been minted all the way up to the 1860's which might be the case because mine is in rather good shape for the suggested age considering the material..
Here are all the other finds:
P_20161214_171831.webpP_20161214_171812.webp
(Japanese 1 Sen, 1/2 old Taiwan dollar, old Taiwan 10 dollar, junk buddhist pendant)

Thanks for looking if anyone has more data on the coin (Mackaydon?) I'd appreciate an ID.
 
Upvote 24
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice finds Benjamin!
 
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:
 
Very interesting, so hard to ID those coins. I went on eBay and messaged a few people who sold coins like that, and after two years of not really knowing what I had got a positive ID in about three days.
Nice finds
 
They stay in pretty good condition as they are bronze, cleaning is not an issue.(not over cleaning!)
 
They stay in pretty good condition as they are bronze, cleaning is not an issue.(not over cleaning!)

Good point but I have pulled out some really nasty ones that were definitely more recent (Qing dynasty and the like) so I was still surprised..
 
Japanese Cash coin that you'll see here: (scroll down a bit)
More Japanese Cash Coins © 1995-2015
Don.......

Yay! First Jap cash coin for me! Never seen one before.
Thanks, Mackaydon!
I guess it will be almost impossible to know which variety it is then, since the exact diameter will already be a problem to mesaure given the corruption..
Will try to carefully clean to determine the character variety.
 
Nice find!

Actually it doesn't look in that bad condition.
If you want, I can try to ID it a little better.
Can you put up a better pic and post diameter and weight?
 
Nice find!

Actually it doesn't look in that bad condition.
If you want, I can try to ID it a little better.
Can you put up a better pic and post diameter and weight?

Hey! thanks for the effort, I will try to post better pics and the weight and exact diameter!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom