What's new

1699 William III Half Penny

lenmac65

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
10,209
Golden Thread
3
Location
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two hours at a former homesite with nothing to show for it until I hit a nice high tone with a solid VDI of 22 on the Equinox. I dug the target and guessed I had a British copper. Once home I determined it was a King William III. Unfortunately, the obverse is shot except for a few letters of his name and the telltale ribbon in his hair. The reverse is better with a fairly clear date of 1699 (see upper right). I sure wish this was in better shape, but I guess I should be happy that there is anything left of it at all after spending probably 300 years in the ground. Happy hunting!
IMG_0867.webp
IMG_0869.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 38
Nice, just 6 years after the Salem Witch Trials, and given your location, not out of the realm of once gracing the pockets of some of the participants.
Thanks! It is fun to imagine who spent and ultimately lost this coin.
 
WTG on being a member of the 1600 club!
Thanks! I have been fortunate to find a couple coppers from the 1600s, but this is my first such coin that still had a date on it. They sure are tough to come by, even in this area.
 
Finding any 1600's dated coin in any type of condition in the USA is a FANTASTIC find - congrats ! :hello2:
Thanks! They are tough to come by for sure. This coin was pretty shot, so I really lucked out with the visible date.
 
Wow, and I get excited when I find a coin from the 1800's ! Great find.
Thanks! I still get super excited finding coins from the 1800s, or just about any coin but clad😁.
 
Two hours at a former homesite with nothing to show for it until I hit a nice high tone with a solid VDI of 22 on the Equinox. I dug the target and guessed I had a British copper. Once home I determined it was a King William III. Unfortunately, the obverse is shot except for a few letters of his name and the telltale ribbon in his hair. The reverse is better with a fairly clear date of 1699 (see upper right). I sure wish this was in better shape, but I guess I should be happy that anything is left of it at all after spending probably 300 years in the ground. Happy hunting!
View attachment 2249360View attachment 2249361
Yes sir! 1699!! What a fantastic coin. That is a HUGE winner all day long. Well done lenmac65. The fact that these coins are still out there waiting to be found is a miracle. Finding one is a double miracle.
 
Yes sir! 1699!! What a fantastic coin. That is a HUGE winner all day long. Well done lenmac65. The fact that these coins are still out there waiting to be found is a miracle. Finding one is a double miracle.
Thanks Silvermonkey! Rough shape, but I am happy to have dug it. They are still out there, though tough to come by. I am still hoping for a Tree coin like your Oak Tree piece, or a Pine Tree. Those are so elusive!
 
Great Mass dig there Mr. lenmac! I have yet to get a shovel in the ground this year. Glad to see someone is out there finding the treasure!
 
Nice one there Lenmac! I am happy with a William III in any condition. It is a bonus when you can get the date!
 
Great Mass dig there Mr. lenmac! I have yet to get a shovel in the ground this year. Glad to see someone is out there finding the treasure!
Thanks! That was only my third time out this year. Now is a good time before it gets too hot. Watch out for ticks though, as they are already out there. I had one on me this very dig despite wearing bug spray and treating my pants.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom