What's new

Complete Shoe Buckle (1720-1790) and a King George I Farthing

lenmac65

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
3,010
Reaction score
10,209
Golden Thread
3
Location
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched two former homesites yesterday. The first site only gave up a button, some sort of buckle, and an escutcheon piece. The second site was producing nothing until I got a strong high tone with a VDI around 22. I dug the hole and was happy to see a complete shoe buckle dating from about 1720 to 1790. A few minutes later I got another high tone with a VDI of 26. While that VDI often suggests a silver dime, it was giving off too “big” of a sound for a coin that small. Sure enough, it was a British copper. Once at home I could see it was a King George I farthing, which were minted from 1719 to 1724. This one is toasted, though I think it may be dated 1723. Happy hunting and good luck out there!

IMG_9322.webp
IMG_9302.webp
IMG_9303.webp
IMG_9328.webpIMG_9330.webpIMG_9331.webp
 
Upvote 35
That is one gorgeous shoe buckle! What a great piece. Love the farthing too. That particular coin has eluded me over the years. Happy to know that they are still out there. Well done Lenmac65! PS- I love the pic of the shoe buckle with the American flag in the background.
 
That is one gorgeous shoe buckle! What a great piece. Love the farthing too. That particular coin has eluded me over the years. Happy to know that they are still out there. Well done Lenmac65! PS- I love the pic of the shoe buckle with the American flag in the background.
Thanks, Silvermonkey! I was happy to get the farthing, though the King George I Hibernia coins seem to hold up much better in the soil than these ones do. Good luck on your search. I love finding buckles and recall you have dug a nice collection too. Thanks for the comment on the flag in the photo. That feature was unintentional at first, as I accidentally included the flag in the background when I held the buckle up under my desk light, which is next to a coffee cup holding the flag and some pens. I liked the effect, so I took a few more photos with the flag in it until I got the best shot. I am glad you liked it too.
 
Now those are some fine Massachusetts digs right there, lenmac. Congrats! It's such a thrill to recover a complete Colonial shoe buckle. Does it still swivel?
 
Congrats on some great finds. Shows what a little research before the search can lead you to. Hopefully there will be several more discoveries in future hunts at those sights.
 
The shoe buckle would be my favorite 😍.
The Farthing is nice, but the buckle is top shelf.
Congratulations on the day.
 
Now those are some fine Massachusetts digs right there, lenmac. Congrats! It's such a thrill to recover a complete Colonial shoe buckle. Does it still swivel?
Thanks, Mr. Digger! I do like digging shoe buckles, and have had the good fortune to have recovered several complete buckles over the last several years. This one has some limited movement (about 20%). I might try a little WD 40, though I don’t want to push it too hard.
 
Last edited:
The shoe buckle would be my favorite 😍.
The Farthing is nice, but the buckle is top shelf.
Congratulations on the day.
Thanks, pepperj. I too prefer the buckle and hope to make a display box someday with the other shoe and knee buckles I have found. I am a sucker for old coins too, but this one is in really rough shape. Still fun to find though.
 
I searched two former homesites yesterday. The first site only gave up a button, some sort of buckle, and an escutcheon piece. The second site was producing nothing until I got a strong high tone with a VDI around 22. I dug the hole and was happy to see a complete shoe buckle dating from about 1720 to 1790. A few minutes later I got another high tone with a VDI of 26. While that VDI often suggests a silver dime, it was giving off too “big” of a sound for a coin that small. Sure enough, it was a British copper. Once at home I could see it was a King George I farthing, which were minted from 1719 to 1724. This one is toasted, though I think it may be dated 1723. Happy hunting and good luck out there!

View attachment 2218165View attachment 2218166View attachment 2218167View attachment 2218168View attachment 2218169View attachment 2218170
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
Great finds! That buckle is in really nice condition too.
 
Congrats on an great find ! That buckle is in excellent condition.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom