What's new

1700's spur and some buttons

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,465
Reaction score
2,997
Golden Thread
6
Location
CT
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got back to the site Todd Hiltz and myself went to the other day.This time we dragged Danny LaMontagne with us.Dan did well with 3 coins & a nice buckle,Todd got some buttons and I nabbed a few buttons,a escutcheon plate ,a debased KGII rang at 52 VDI and where I knicked it on edge I see yellow rather rhan orange, a cool 1700's childs colonial brass figure 8 spur,a designed tombac and a pair of hand forged iron eyelets
 

Attachments

  • P7260654.webp
    P7260654.webp
    342.1 KB · Views: 133
  • P7260656.webp
    P7260656.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • P7260653.webp
    P7260653.webp
    881.6 KB · Views: 127
  • P7270659.webp
    P7270659.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 123
  • P7250647.webp
    P7250647.webp
    730.5 KB · Views: 114
  • P7250646.webp
    P7250646.webp
    760.8 KB · Views: 119
  • P7250648.webp
    P7250648.webp
    707.2 KB · Views: 122
  • P7240639.webp
    P7240639.webp
    775.7 KB · Views: 126
  • P7240640.webp
    P7240640.webp
    779.3 KB · Views: 119
  • P7240642.webp
    P7240642.webp
    647.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Upvote 48
Hi HMN; I have tried to pin it down with no luck EXCEPT that here is a possiblity of what I'm thinking. This info & thought comes from your Links Page. I now believe your button was designed by a Civilian for use as a Propaganda Statement, just like the Masonic Lodge RattleSnake Style Button, in support of the Masonic Lodge Ideaologies themselves.
That instead of using the RattleSnake Design they used the Bar Design on the Button as a Symbol of the Foundation & Celebration of the New Nation in defiance of the British Empire. That at the time there were many different Clubs throughout the Colonies that used the same tactics and Ideaologies as the Masonic Lodges. I believe yours is one of those Clubs Buttons with the Bar Design. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:
thanks for your input & your opinion.Hope someone maybe confirms this. appreciate it.
 
The spur is awesome!
 
Hi HMN; I actually did see some pictures of these type buttons that were in other Private Collections on other Web sites as well and that is what I'm basing it on. That the Bar Design was NOT a common nice looking button design but rather it was used as a Political Statement against the English Monarchy. I saw 2 Bar Buttons that had an Attributed date of about 1760 I believe. The Article said that the Civilians adapted the design for the above stated purpose. It also said that the British Troops would engage in Suppression Tactics and even charge the Button Maker with Treason. Punishable by Death. I believe that this info does put your button in a different Class than ordinary tombac buttons thus commanding a decent price as well ok. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom