Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is the McLarty Treasure museum located and what is your connection to them? What is a diorama? A theater?

Google is your friend.

diorama
[dahy-uh-ram-uh, -rah-muh]

1. a scene, often in miniature, reproduced in three dimensions by placing objects, figures, etc., in front of a painted background.

2. a life-size display representing a scene from nature, a historical event, or the like, using stuffed wildlife, wax figures, real objects, etc., in front of a painted or photographed background.

3. a spectacular picture, partly translucent, for exhibition through an aperture, made more realistic by various illuminating devices.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The McLarty State Treasure Museum is in Sebastian, Florida on Hwy. A1A just south of the Sebastian Inlet. The museum is based on the history of the Spanish 1715 Treasure Fleet that sank along the coast here (thus giving it the Treasure Coast name)... I have set several displays for them with some of my recovered artifacts and also have made a diorama for the 300th Anniversary (back in 2015) of the sinking of the 1715 Fleet.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Museum is on our scheduled stop list :)

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The McLarty State Treasure Museum is in Sebastian, Florida on Hwy. A1A just south of the Sebastian Inlet. The museum is based on the history of the Spanish 1715 Treasure Fleet that sank along the coast here (thus giving it the Treasure Coast name)... I have set several displays for them with some of my recovered artifacts and also have made a diorama for the 300th Anniversary (back in 2015) of the sinking of the 1715 Fleet.

move back up from the Keys Phips?

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes wife’s job brought us back..[emoji53] but great job so worth it...

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent!! Have you swung the coil post hurricane in Sebastian Florida? PM me, I’d like to chat. I live about 30 minutes north of there. Looking for some pointers friend!!

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight on Expedition Unknown some “news” about 1715 Fleet. Discovery Channel, 2100.......

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to share for anyone interested, I will have completed diorama number two for the McLarty State Treasure Museum by this Wednesday...

my first diorama project for the museum was the “Dragons Teeth” display depicting the 1715 Fleet galleons wrecking in the hurricane...

This new diorama will be called “Sands of Time” and depicts a modern salvage vessel blowing sand overburden off of a wreck with their “mailbox” or Prop Wash Deflector...

I made both dioramas by hand using primarily modeling clay and they were massive artistic endeavors to say the least...

I hope you all will have the opportunity to see my latest work on display at the museum in Sebastian, Florida and I hope it will be well received...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who haven’t seen it, this was my first diorama that I was commissioned for by the McLarty State Treasure Museum in Sebastian, FL... “Dragons Teeth” (which is what the Spanish called the Florida reefs for consuming so many of their vessels)... i am pleased to mention that it was recently used in a few scenes in an exceptionally well done historical short film about the Treasure Coast for the Indian River Historical Society...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573440242.752659.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573440293.535826.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573440365.586461.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573440393.262534.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573440486.157915.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573440686.614914.jpg

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new diorama “Sands of Time”... here’s a few preliminary pics... as I mentioned, it’s not finished yet but will be this week...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573440977.927629.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573441014.199786.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573441055.994052.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1573441084.697237.jpg

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking down into the hole being blown by the blow boat in my diorama...

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had quite a job undertaking there to get finished up! :coffee2:

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Red... it was a nightmare of a project with many setbacks due to using materials I had never used before for something like this and having to work within the constraints of those materials.

Not to mention, after leaving the security contractor and law enforcement fields after 26 years, I became a treasure hunter (for the last 20 years) but missed serving so I decided to go into Tactical and Waterborne Emergency Disaster Response /Search and Rescue work as needed... and so I ended up responding to Hurricanes Irma (Keys), Florence (Carolinas), Michael (Mexico Beach), and Dorian (Abaco’s, Bahamas) and made a law enforcement mission to Cambodia to deal with the Child Sex Trade and Human Trafficking... so my point I guess is that I’ve been a little busy and this added a whole lot of time on toward getting this diorama done.

Oh yeah and I guess having a new baby made my schedule just a bit more difficult!!![emoji23]

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phips...

I must say way top notch work... extremely well done.

I am truly impressed at the way you captured the "feel" and "look"...

IMO... you nailed it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ps. Phips > Just showed my girl... she loves em,

I will really anticipate seeing those in person on next time I visit the McLarty

Might have to study your work like I did this map last time I was there... :P

Me in museum.jpg

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AARC... I actually donated that copy of the Bernard Romans map to the museum that you were studying![emoji23]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread