What's new

1724 KG copper and more 200 BC rings

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
4,508
Reaction score
975
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10PM EST 11-15 ..Hello TN After the Nor'easter calmed down , Sunday was perfect hunting conditions , 60 degrees ,no bugs Went to the old field ,abandoned cabin site and searched somemore . Near some shells and old bricks I dug this 1724 King George and two of these CONSTANTINV 200 BC thing a-ma rings . These "see picture"are showing up on the dig site lately ! #3#4 the k9s made a dogs dinner :D Thanks for taking a look @ George and Ringo
 

Attachments

  • 1724 KG1.webp
    1724 KG1.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 588
  • 1724 KG1 002.webp
    1724 KG1 002.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 583
  • 7-11-2009 439.webp
    7-11-2009 439.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 574
  • ars.webp
    ars.webp
    6.3 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
I told you not to get involved with those dogs. Look what happens.
 
Rusted_Iron said:
I told you not to get involved with those dogs. Look what happens.
Rusted Iron devil dogs have sent the voodoo to Jersey :offtheair:
 
4-H said:
Nice finds Dawg!
Thanks 4-H went from "Leave It To Beaver" to Sci-Fi Channel over the past weekend ::)
 
I love the KG copper, CM. You are on an unbelievable run. :notworthy:
 
makes you wonder whos finger was in that ring.. :dontknow:..neat digs love the coin..des
 
Des from down under said:
makes you wonder whos finger was in that ring.. :dontknow:..neat digs love the coin..des
no-ones :icon_scratch:
 
:hello:

Great finds :headbang: you should get a fortune for the 200bc rings you found :D there are plenty of buyers over there :laughing7:

SS
 
Nice KG. Just out of curiosity, why would you think these rings are that old? I would say those rings are horse tack related. I find them all the time in PA. Are they brass?

Brian
 
These bronze rings are really questionable, I also find them here in Germany and found one just last week. They have been used similarly like this for at least 2000 years or more, I think you are referring to Celtic Ring money when you say 200 BC. I have also seen plausible sketches from the late Medieval times showing these style of rings worn on clothing. Maybe you found old family heirloom clothing from the early settlers that eventually got discarded. HH, Mike
 
hey CMD, the good news about your rings is that they pre-date the machine age, since they are clearly hand-worked. Loosely speaking, that would place their manufacture prior to 1840 or so, and most likely prior to 1800. Good relics, for the States. :icon_thumright:

They are quite possibly contemporary with that KG copper (early 18th Century) or even perhaps earlier. The source of materials for manufacturing bronze (if that's what they are) was limited either to British imports, or to a couple of early Dutch copper mines in New Jersey dating to the 1600's. Furthermore, the tin needed for bronze would almost certainly have had to come from Cornwall (England). In other words, that stuff didn't exactly grow on trees in Jersey, and the Jerseymen would have been much more likely to make rings out of forged iron, as bog iron ore was still relatively plentiful back then.

That one ring does look as though it could be iron. The early iron from NJ seems to get a nice black oxide, not that caked stuff, because of the high quality of the iron ore used (and probably the forging techniques). Either way, it looks like the piece has been hand-worked.

If bronze, your rings were likely brought over on a ship in the Colonial period. That is not "old" to our British friends on here, but then again, neither are the KG coppers that we try to find.

That other object in CONSTANTINVS's picture there,the pointy one, has no modern counterpart that I know of, and thus my find of such an item could quite possibly be a genuine 200-150 BC relic... especially since I did find a very worn, ancient coin within 10 feet of it.

So basically, it looks like those dogs were messin' with ya, just like I warned you. Your evil plan backfired. ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom