What's new

1777 Piece of Eight 8 Reale Cut in Half- Counterfeit/ Replica???

ericthedigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2013
Messages
20
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's MXTpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this yesterday in a field about eight inches down. Looked for the other half for awhile but couldn't find it. It was in an area where I've found other coins dating 1802,1803,1803 but also a few from 1942,1939. I'm guessing it's a replica because of the slight peeling of the plating. Also the way in which it broke almost looks fractured-uncharacteristic of silver. I'm also guessing it's from one of those two time periods. However, I've been wrong many times in the past! Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Whatever it is- it was fun finding it!!!
 

Attachments

  • DSC05437.webp
    DSC05437.webp
    392.8 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC05438.webp
    DSC05438.webp
    448.6 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC05439.webp
    DSC05439.webp
    372.5 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC05440.webp
    DSC05440.webp
    283.6 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC05441.webp
    DSC05441.webp
    468.3 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 16
Very cool counterfeit! Maybe there's a real one hiding in there...keep at er!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom