1780 Spanish Buried goldbars south Alabama

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
I have seen 2 references in Treasure Books to about JUST what this subject sez. Maybe a little more, Around 1780 They buried gold bars near Bay Minette while fighting off and fleeing from indians. Has anyone read any more about this than that, or where would that type info come from..... What other source should I look for about the Spanish in Alabama during that time?

OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
1st the Spainards had that area then the French, then Spain again, then the British, but about 1783 the Spainards took Pensacola and west Florida (which was also south Alabama) from the British, and kept control of that area untill 1819 when the area became part of the United States. So this gold could have been smelted into Bars somewhere futher North (Ga or Al gold fields) and was on its way to Pensacola. This info is in a book "Lillian" a town in Alabama west of Pensacola FL. by Olive H. Hearon. (this info, not of the Gold Bars part)

Also found on a web site:
http://www.keyshistory.org/FL-Fla-Eng.html

At this time, Florida extended as far north as the Yazoo River on the Mississippi River. Small settlements at St. Marks, Mobile, New Orleans, Manchac and Natchez existed and Pensacola and St. Augustine were still the largest.
It is significant to mention that the two English Florida colonies did not join their 13 sister colonies in the American Revolution of 1776. They were probably too small, too new and undeveloped to shed their mother country's apron strings. In fact, in 1776, when the news of the Declaration of Independence reached St. Augustine, the townspeople burned Hancock and Adams in effigy. Three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Arthur Middleton, Edward Rutledge and Thomas Heyward, were later held captive in the English prison at St. Augustine.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Spanish treasure was found on Fort Morgan Road back in the thirty's.My father has talked to people who were around at the time and remembered a couple that owned a fishing boat and all of a sudden started buying property and new boats and what not. It was during the depression so everyone wanted to know where the money came from. There is an old Spanish cemetery that is under water now. It was silver coins though and not gold.They found the treasure in the grave yard. There was a huge oak that had some arrows carved in it. My father said you could still make them some what out back in the 50s . The tree is still there but The markings are to fare gone.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
I dont know anything about the gold bars but i do know that Mobile used to not be where it is currently. im sure there was something there but im not sure exactly what. what i am getting at though is if you take HWY 43 north through Saraland, Satsuma, Chickasaw and all those towns and go to where Courtalds Fibers is or was, i heard they closed not too long ago, on there property is where it was. out in the woods from what i understand is still an old Church St sign and an old cemetary. it should prove to be a good place to go.

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Resized_DCP_102.jpg
    Resized_DCP_102.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 741
  • DCP_102.jpg
    DCP_102.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 832
  • DCP_102.jpg
    DCP_102.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 699
  • Resized_DCP_102.jpg
    Resized_DCP_102.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 709

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry too large

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_DCP_0349.jpg
    Resized_Resized_DCP_0349.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 761
  • Resized_DCP_103.jpg
    Resized_DCP_103.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 738
  • Resized_DCP_0357.jpg
    Resized_DCP_0357.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 780
  • Resized_DCP_0357.jpg
    Resized_DCP_0357.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 694
  • Resized_DCP_103.jpg
    Resized_DCP_103.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 685
  • Resized_Resized_DCP_0349.jpg
    Resized_Resized_DCP_0349.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 701
OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
That web site is Great. Lots of Info sourced at one palce. Most of this happened way before the 1700's.
I'm thinking that about the year 1780 that this was to have been, It might be a Spanish LandOwner Settler traveling between north of Mobile to Pensacola . There were Spanish and French settlers in this area, and some had Land Up near McIntosh Al., and I have read in a book about Lillian Al, that many donated gold to build a big church in Pensacola Fl. That would have have been a route that would go past Bay Minette. I don't think anyone was robbing Indians of their gold or mining a lot of gold in this area around 1780, so I don't think it was gold that was bound to be sent back to Spain by ship.... ??? .....
But my Settlers idea may be 30 years too soon. I've read that in 1780 the British (who were in control of that area then) made an attack on the "Village" a Spanish town/fort just north of Daphne Al. and had to retreat back to Pensacola. Maybe some of the Spanards decided to move and took Gold with then to the North of the Village towards what is now Atmore , that would have carried them near Bay Minette.

OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
I found some other info that said it was along the shores of Bayou Minitte. That makes more sense, thats not far from Blakeley or the Village. The Village was a settlement in the 1700's. Bayou Minitte and BAY Minitte are not the same places, but they are somewhat near each other, about 20 miles apart.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does make more sence. I used to hunt around Blakley.

OP
OP
M

musstag

Aug 10, 2006
I found that a Plantation near Bayou Minitte was burned, 4 members of the family killed, the wife, daughter and 2 slaves were kidnapped by Indians in 1780!!!! The Indians were alingned with the British who were fighting with Spain for the city Of Mobile and the hostages were taken to Pensacloa still under British control ( but not for much longer) and ransomed to the ... don't know who... (either the Family relatives who were living in Mobile or the Spanish Leaders..?..) So, why did the indians burn the Plantation, kill and Kidnap those people? Maybe because they let the Spanish use the Plantation? Maybe camp there? Maybe the Indians also fought and chased the small number of Spanish troops? So maybe there is gold nearby. About 400 houses now cover the Plantation site..... But there is some open area near there that is not developed, And that may be the only direction, towards the Bayou, that could be taken by anyone trying to escape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread