What's new

1783 Ringo 25-83A contemporary counterfeit kg 3

41Digger

Full Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2021
Messages
191
Reaction score
1,457
Golden Thread
0
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wuld like to possibly sell this, but privately to avoid all the fees of a big auction house or Ebay. What are some of the best numismatic sites just show this coin even exist? There are only four known examples
20251023_174614.webp
20251023_174651.webp
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...THyEqLIdhKY6McCusg_aem_XUgPChk5eY41eDoh8q5Q4g
 
Chances are, if you sell it privately, they will flip it, and sell it at auction. Watch them double or triple their money. Me? I’d go through the right channels, get it a legit coin auction house, and get as much as you can through them. Yea you’ll pay fees, but you’ll get the most out of it.
 
Chances are, if you sell it privately, they will flip it, and sell it at auction. Watch them double or triple their money. Me? I’d go through the right channels, get it a legit coin auction house, and get as much as you can through them. Yea you’ll pay fees, but you’ll get the most out of it.
I am no hurry... will try privately, and if I have doubts then maybe auction or even Ebay.....
 
If you feel your find is a big $ find and you want to make the most out of it in a sale whether public or private, you should really consider having it professionally dealt with first.
A reputable top tier third party grading service and certification will attract serious buyers of high end coins. Counterfeits of counterfeits exist so you have to eliminate that through them. Authentication is basically what this is.
They will also grade it, its part of the process.

Raw coins( uncertified), especially coins with problems, and that includes dug coins more so; unfortunately very serious buyers tend not look at these seriously.

What it does have going for it are far better circumstances, rare very rare, amazing eye appeal, that really counts for your coin, and there is a hungry market for colonial coins like that.
I love it!

What ever way you go, the next person who owns it will have to determine if what you two agree on for a price and it's fair for you both and for something found it can only go up for you!

I'll be watching to see where this one goes!!
 
Been the route of Stacks. WORD OF ADVICE: Don't do it!!!! 20% buyers premium, (along with 5% from sale price to you), hampers the price A LOT! Contacted the Colonial Coin Collectors Club already. They already know it's out there. These are the guys you want for a private sale. It's your coin. We had a private sale offer in Boston in 2009. Went to Stacks and got screwed out of about $1500.00. Remember..........It's still a ground found copper. Knocks the price WAY down. Don't get me wrong, coin is AWESOME with detail. My (educated) guess is someone may pay 6-7. I wouldn't worry about someone "flipping" it. Take your $ and be satisfied. CASE IN POINT: See the Ryder 7 in my Avatar?? Took that to Boston too, (with the 25-83A). Guys were literally drewling over it. Said if it wasn't a ground copper, and was in a collection, would have been one of the finest known Vermont Coppers worth $30-35,000 at auction. They were all in agreement on a $1500-1,800 value AS IS. I got $1,275. I HIGHLY doubt 5 figures for yours. There are really only a handful of collectors for this coin. GOOD LUCK! Todd P.S. Everyone knows what it is. Grading services on this coin are a waste of time and $.
 
All the right people know about it, the C4 community. The real problem with value is collecting these contemporary counterfeits is a very small collecting niche, there just aren't that many people who collect them and a couple already have one of these. There is definite interest in your coin but how badly the buyer wants it will set the price.
 
I’d send it out for authentication first. If I wanted to sell it, I would go to one of the big numismatic shows like the upcoming FUN show in Orlando January 8-10. You can go table to table seeing what your best offer will be… Use the show directory to get an idea what tables to start at. Plus the FUN show is an awesome experience, I’m a lifelong collector. If you have local coin shows of any significant size, you could try that, but I like the national shows for trying to move material.
You will probably net the most by $ hand to hand without a paper trail… just saying. Though the audience for contemporary counterfeits is narrow that’s the route I would go or the EAC community or C4. I was a member of EAC. Many people have expanded interest across into these contemporary counterfeits. We have YTC Club members that have dug a few, but I don’t think they were that kind of very rare variety.
 
BWD makes a LOT of sense !!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom