1786 Connecticut Copper

D

doyboy

RP and I got out today to an area that we had just gotten permission to detect. The area is all farmland and it has a lot of history behind it. This land is about 30 yards from an historical fort that dates back to 1778. We were also told by the landowners that a homestead once stood on the farmland for over a 100 years. So, we were very excited to detect it. Even though the farm field is planted with corn, the owner told us that we could just go between the rows. So, being die-hards, like we are, we did just that for about an hour. It sure was a fight! I found a nice 3-ringer at 1.5". RP found an old button at 4".

The 2nd hour we detected in a small, grassy field that is next to the planted field. This was when I got a "Dime" reading that pinpointed at 2.5". I dug a plug and had another large copper staring at me. This coin turned out to be another Colonial copper (my 2nd one in a week). I am on Cloud Nine now! Once I got home, I got the "Red Book" out and tried to figure out what I had just found. I came to the conclusion that it is a Connecticut copper-1786, Mailed Bust Facing Left. The only feature that gives away this variety, is the shape of the man's head on the reverse. It is more distinctly rounded than the other ones. And, that is made evident on my scanned picture.

RP ended the day with an 1859 Indian Head penny. HH!

Attachments

• Colonial coin.jpg
    Colonial coin.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 662
  • CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 673
  • 3-ringer.jpg
    3-ringer.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 669
Upvote 0
its kinda hard to tell from your photo, but it kinda does look like a conn. copper! awesome find. i found a 1788 bust facing right last winter. if you are half as happy as i was when i found mine you must be stoked!! great find!

I know that there will be more of these in the farmfield. I bet RP and I will pick up some nice Reales, too. My goal is to pull at least one Spanish silver coin from this field. It has the potential!

You're doing great, doy. :o :o It sounds like you're doing the necessary research to find the good stuff, too.

Congratulations. Post another picture if you decide to clean it. ::)

Thanks for the replies. I am all about research! It definitely leads to great finds! HH!

Thats really awesome to find colonial copper..Hope fully it will clean decently if you decide to. Great find .. RH

I scratched the dirt off of it. That is all I do to copper coins. Anymore cleaning will make the coin worse! What would you guys clean this coin with? Battery acid? Gasoline? Mustard and water mixed together? Thanks!

SWEET! I hope someday I'll come up with one, Congrats!

doyboy said:
I scratched the dirt off of it. That is all I do to copper coins. Anymore cleaning will make the coin worse! What would you guys clean this coin with? Battery acid? Gasoline? Mustard and water mixed together? Thanks!

ha ha how about turpentine :D! i soaked mine in olive oil for a looong time and it did help bring out a little definition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back