1786 LEFT FACING DRAPED BUST NEW DIE PAIRING

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found the variety ~ it is left facing draped 1786 ct copper, with heavily rotated die (90 degrees). Note the decorative marks between Britannia's head and INDE, also behind her head. Same on the bottom, but unfortunately it flaked off.... absolutely different. Checked the red book and it states the same as coin facts. I will call ANACS when they open. PCGS screwed me once... I am done with them! https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1786-ct-1-2p-draped-bust-left-m-6-k-bn/686368
20240228_091324.jpg
20240228_091045.jpg

Upvote 14
OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found the variety ~ it is left facing draped 1786 ct copper, with heavily rotated die (90 degrees). Note the decorative marks between Britannia's head and INDE, also behind her head. Same on the bottom, but unfortunately it flaked off.... absolutely different. Checked the red book and it states the same as coin facts. I will call ANACS when they open. PCGS screwed me once... I am done with them! https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1786-ct-1-2p-draped-bust-left-m-6-k-bn/686368 View attachment 2134153 View attachment 2134155
After much research and conversations,,,,, here is what it actually is. PCGS has a total population of 5
1709145504604.png

JB Hunts

Dec 21, 2023
So I found the variety ~ it is left facing draped 1786 ct copper, with heavily rotated die (90 degrees). Note the decorative marks between Britannia's head and INDE, also behind her head. Same on the bottom, but unfortunately it flaked off.... absolutely different. Checked the red book and it states the same as coin facts. I will call ANACS when they open. PCGS screwed me once... I am done with them! https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1786-ct-1-2p-draped-bust-left-m-6-k-bn/686368 View attachment 2134153 View attachment 2134155
Banner find!

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a lifetime for most.

Kevinrochay

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2024
The 1786 ct copper coin you found is a rare and interesting piece. It features Britannia, the personification of Great Britain, facing left with her head facing forward. The coin is draped with a toga-like garment, and the die is rotated 90 degrees. This unusual die rotation is why the coin is considered a variety.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ID. R-5 is 75-200 examples. Nice condition for a dug coin. Grading would come back with "Environmental Damage". Not worth it. If you posted on Ebay, my guess is it would sell for about $40-50 (+ or-), just because of the great condition. Probably not what you want to hear, but that's reality. Been there.....done that.

OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ID. R-5 is 75-200 examples. Nice condition for a dug coin. Grading would come back with "Environmental Damage". Not worth it. If you posted on Ebay, my guess is it would sell for about $40-50 (+ or-), just because of the great condition. Probably not what you want to hear, but that's reality. Been there.....done that.
one of the coin guys at David Lawrence got the proper ID https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1787-ct-1-2p-auctobi-miller-39-2-ee-bn/687283 They feel it would go for 500 to 1200 at auction

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
one of the coin guys at David Lawrence got the proper ID https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1787-ct-1-2p-auctobi-miller-39-2-ee-bn/687283 They feel it would go for 500 to 1200 at auction
One can look at the realized hammer prices in the link you provided.
Then look at your example and as stated it's damaged by the environment.
Though the overall condition is better than the sold examples.

In taking the viewpoint of the guys at DL is it a case of high valuation to justify the slabbing costs?
Just saying if they were to say look it's a coin of this grade "if" it wasn't damaged-but it's only worth $100 at most.

I've had things valued by certain places-but in reality the market bears a different value on the items.
Something like the Antiques road show quote "If you were to insure this, you should put a value of X on it"

Either way it's a great recovery and it would be on the top shelf of the display.

OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In taking the viewpoint of the guys at DL is it a case of high valuation to justify the slabbing costs?
Just saying if they were to say look it's a coin of this grade "if" it wasn't damaged-but it's only worth $100 at most.

I've had things valued by certain places-but in reality the market bears a different value on the items.
Something like the Antiques road show quote "If you were to insure this, you should put a value of X on it"

Either way it's a great recovery and it would be on the top shelf of the displaWell I gues their opinion is different then yours.

Either way it's a great recovery and it would be on the top shelf of the display.
They never used the word "if" ... only you have done that. They have seen it.....gave their opinion it is what it is..... BTW PCGS has a total population of 5

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
List the coin on EBAY with a $500 reserve. If the final bid reaches $100 I would be shocked. MANY C-4 members ,and expert coin dealers, are on EBAY. EXAMPLE: The Ryder 7 Vt. in my avatar. Took it to Boston 15 years a go to the C-4 convention at the Raddison. Talked to ALL the experts. Said that if it wasn't ground found would be one of the finest known to exist and would be valued around $30,000. Being ground found they thought I might get $2,000. Sent to Stacks, and was listed as "MS", (by their experts), with a $3,000 reserve. Didn't sell. Sold it on EBAY for $1,275. That's reality.

Last edited:
OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
List the coin on EBAY with a $500 reserve. If the final bid reaches $100 I would be shocked. MANY C-4 members ,and expert coin dealers, are on EBAY. EXAMPLE: The Ryder 7 Vt. in my avatar. Took it to Boston 15 years a go to the C-4 convention at the Raddison. Talked to ALL the experts. Said that if it wasn't ground found would be one of the finest known to exist and would be valued around $30,000. Being ground found they thought I might get $2,000. Sent to Stacks, and was listed as "MS", (by their experts), with a $3,000 reserve. Didn't sell. Sold it on EBAY for $1,275. That's reality.
David Lawrence Coins looked at it, and expect the price I quoted, and they know its dug. I will probably get it slabbed eventually and send it over

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

They never used the word "if" ... only you have done that. They have seen it.....gave their opinion it is what it is..... BTW PCGS has a total population of 5
Now read the sentence again please I said "IF" they were to say....
"IF" it wasn't damaged

No where in that statement did I imply they actually said "IF".

So here is an actual realized hammer price from the link you provided in #10

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 8.14.57 AM.png

Here is your coin (I rotated the coin for easier viewing)

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 8.13.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 8.13.47 AM.png

Original condition vs the dug condition is a whole different value especially when the coin is pitted as yours.

I'm only stating the a view point of looking in the window here. I agree your coin is a really good example but the buyers world states a whole different viewpoint.

Good luck though if you do put it up for sale, hope that I'm totally out in left field on this.

OP
OP

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now read the sentence again please I said "IF" they were to say....
"IF" it wasn't damaged

No where in that statement did I imply they actually said "IF".

So here is an actual realized hammer price from the link you provided in #10

View attachment 2139227

Here is your coin (I rotated the coin for easier viewing)

View attachment 2139228 View attachment 2139229

Original condition vs the dug condition is a whole different value especially when the coin is pitted as yours.

I'm only stating the a view point of looking in the window here. I agree your coin is a really good example but the buyers world states a whole different viewpoint.

Good luck though if you do put it up for sale, hope that I'm totally out in left field on this.
i know this.. the details on mine or nicer then any I have seen.... I am expecting au 55 at the very least as far as details go... possibly even ms 60..... time will tell, eventually it will probably end up at auction after being slabbed

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i know this.. the details on mine or nicer then any I have seen.... I am expecting au 55 at the very least as far as details go... possibly even ms 60..... time will tell, eventually it will probably end up at auction after being slabbed
Like I said best of luck on the grading and sale.
But I just can't see this example getting a grading of what you just quoted.
Then again :dontknow:

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 9.38.39 AM.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread