• tmpphp61g9LG.jpg
    tmpphp61g9LG.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 682
  • tmpphphKk8k1.jpg
    tmpphphKk8k1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 666
Upvote 0
Nice score!! :headbang:

Bill, nice to see another New Jersey copper being found! I spent a lot of time trying to ID the variety, especially since my initial assessment had it as a Very Rare variety which would be special in my survey I am conducting, but alas, after having two experts look at the photos and one being inconclusive due to condition and the other one leaned toward a more common variety.

So after getting done doing my annual cherished duty of Income Tax filing I really got down to examining, comparing the photos and had to agree that your NJ copper is in fact a more common variety known as a Protruding Tongue type, but it is a Maris 16-L, The 16 designates the variety of the Obverse side (horse head and plow/date side) and the L designates the variety of the shield side. The J and L reverses are very very similar and on a worn, corroded copper that in photos does not always show all the necessary points of detail needed to be positive, makes for a challenge.

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/maris_16L.htm (example of a M.16-L variety)

Congrats on getting one and if you got it in Delaware, all the better since not too many reported found in my survey from the 1st state!

Could you PM me the county and state found in so I can add that data to my circualtion pattern study? Your coin would be approximatetly the 455th one in the survey but only the 4th from Delaware if that is where you found it. Always looking for more by anyone who found them and photos always appreciated along with state and county found in.

Thanks

Don

Terrific find. Hope to get me one someday.

:icon_thumleft: Don's the Man when it comes to NJ copper.... he helped me ID one I found.... Id be happy finding more of them... :headbang:

Congrats on digging a Nova Caesarea copper :icon_thumleft: The use of "CÆSAREA" is based on the ancient classical name for the Island of Jersey in the English Channel. In Roman times this island was called Caesar's Island (insula Caesarea) so when latinizing the state name, the word "Jersey" was transformed to "Caesarea." The 1688 indenture issued by Charles II called the colony "Nova Caesarea, of New Jersey." The reverse of the coin depicted an American shield that is similar to one used on some of the confederation patterns along with the national motto as the legend, E PLURIBUS UNUM (One from many). New Jersey coppers were the first coins to bear the national motto.

CMD

Nice Job! The 2 that I've found are about toasted.

Attachments

• SUC50658[1].jpg
    SUC50658[1].jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 297
  • SUC50665[1].jpg
    SUC50665[1].jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 292
  • SUC50722[1].jpg
    SUC50722[1].jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 407
  • SUC50730[1].jpg
    SUC50730[1].jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 492
Don in SJ said:
Bill, nice to see another New Jersey copper being found! I spent a lot of time trying to ID the variety, especially since my initial assessment had it as a Very Rare variety which would be special in my survey I am conducting, but alas, after having two experts look at the photos and one being inconclusive due to condition and the other one leaned toward a more common variety.

So after getting done doing my annual cherished duty of Income Tax filing I really got down to examining, comparing the photos and had to agree that your NJ copper is in fact a more common variety known as a Protruding Tongue type, but it is a Maris 16-L, The 16 designates the variety of the Obverse side (horse head and plow/date side) and the L designates the variety of the shield side. The J and L reverses are very very similar and on a worn, corroded copper that in photos does not always show all the necessary points of detail needed to be positive, makes for a challenge.

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/maris_16L.htm (example of a M.16-L variety)

Congrats on getting one and if you got it in Delaware, all the better since not too many reported found in my survey from the 1st state!

Could you PM me the county and state found in so I can add that data to my circualtion pattern study? Your coin would be approximatetly the 455th one in the survey but only the 4th from Delaware if that is where you found it. Always looking for more by anyone who found them and photos always appreciated along with state and county found in.

Thanks

Don

Hi - here is an NJ Copper that I found and posted on another site. Maine Relic suggested you would be interested. Found in Hillsborough County, NH by a farm cellar.

Nhfinder

Attachments

• image-3101357125.jpg
    image-3101357125.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 122

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back